Stability of linearly perturbed linear nonautonomous system

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear time-varying linearly perturbed ODE and the question of whether there exists a small enough bound for which the origin is asymptotically stable. The paper mentioned gives a positive answer to this question, but with the assumption that \dot{x}=A(t)x is exponentially stable. However, it is not clear if this assumption holds in the given case. The answer is found in a theorem from another paper, stating that there is indeed a small enough bound for which the ODE has a negative maximum Lyapunov exponent.
dmytro
I have a linear time-varying linearly perturbed ODE of the form:

[tex]
\dot{x} = [A(t)+B(t)]x
[/tex]

where [itex]A(t)[/itex] is a bounded lower-triangular matrix with negative functions on the main diagonal, i.e. [itex]0>a^0\ge a_{ii}(t)[/itex]. The matrix [itex]B(t)[/itex] is bounded, so that [itex]||B(t)|| \le \beta[/itex].

The question is whether there exists a sufficiently small bound [itex]\beta[/itex] such that the origin is asymptotically stable (not necessarily exponentially! I don't care about that).

This paper gives a positive answer to the question, BUT the assumption is that [itex]\dot{x}=A(t)x[/itex] is exponentially stable. In my case, while it is possible to show inductively stability of [itex]\dot{x}=A(t)x[/itex], it is not clear to me that it is exponentially stable, since, for example [itex]\dot{x}_2 = a_{22}(t)x_2 + a_{21}(t)x_1(t)[/itex] such that [itex]x_1(t)\to0[/itex] is exponentially bounded. Is [itex]x_2(t)[/itex] also exponentially bounded?

Physics news on Phys.org
Found the answer. According to the theorem 1.1 from this paper, there indeed exists sufficiently small [itex]\beta[/itex] such that [itex]\dot{x}=\left[A(t)+B(t)\right]x[/itex] has negative maximum lyapunov exponent.

FAQ: Stability of linearly perturbed linear nonautonomous system

What is a linearly perturbed linear nonautonomous system?

A linearly perturbed linear nonautonomous system is a type of mathematical model used to study the behavior of a system that is subject to small disturbances or perturbations. It consists of a set of linear differential equations with time-varying coefficients.

How is stability defined in the context of a linearly perturbed linear nonautonomous system?

Stability in this context refers to the ability of a system to maintain its initial state in the presence of small perturbations. In other words, if the system is initially in a stable state, it will return to that state after being disturbed.

What factors affect the stability of a linearly perturbed linear nonautonomous system?

The stability of a system can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the strength and frequency of the perturbations, the initial conditions of the system, and the properties of the underlying equations.

How is the stability of a linearly perturbed linear nonautonomous system analyzed?

Stability analysis involves examining the behavior of the system's solutions over time to determine whether they converge to a stable state or diverge. This is typically done using mathematical techniques such as Lyapunov stability analysis or linearization.

What are the practical applications of studying the stability of linearly perturbed linear nonautonomous systems?

Understanding the stability of such systems is important in many fields, including engineering, physics, and biology. It can help predict the behavior of real-world systems and inform the design of control strategies to maintain stability.

Back