Stable spiral but math says saddle

In summary, the conversation discusses the fixed points and Jacobian matrix of a system of differential equations. It is concluded that at the fixed points of $(0,0)$ and $\left(\frac{3}{2},0\right)$, there is a saddle, while at $\left(1,1\right)$, there is a spiral. The speaker mentions re-checking the problem and finding a sign problem in the [2,1] entry of the Jacobian matrix. They are unsure of what is going wrong.
Dustinsfl
At my fixed point of (1,1), I should have a stable spiral but I keep getting analytically that it is a saddle.

$$
\begin{cases} \dot{x} = x(3 - 2x - y)\\
\dot{y} = y(-5 + 5x)
\end{cases}
$$
The fixed points are $(0,0)$, $\left(\frac{3}{2},0\right)$, and $\left(1,1\right)$.
Also, the Jacobian is
$$
\mathcal{J} = \begin{pmatrix}
3 - 4x - y & -x\\
-5y & -5 + 5x
\end{pmatrix}.
$$
At $(0,0)$, we have $\mathcal{J} = \begin{pmatrix}3 & 0\\0 & -5\end{pmatrix}$; that is, $\text{tr} = -2$, $\det = -15$, and the discriminant is greater than 0.
Therefore, we have an saddle at $(0,0)$.
For $\lambda = 3$, the eigenvector is $e_1$, so when $\lambda = 5$, the eigenvector is $e_2$.At $\left(\frac{3}{2},0\right)$, we have $\mathcal{J} = \begin{pmatrix}-3 & -\frac{3}{2}\\0 & \frac{5}{2}\end{pmatrix}$; that is, $\text{tr} = -\frac{1}{2}$, $\det = -\frac{15}{2}$, and the discriminant is greater than 0.
Therefore, we have a saddle at $\left(\frac{3}{2},0\right)$.
For $\lambda = -3$, the eigenvector is $e_1$, so when $\lambda = \frac{5}{2}$, the eigenvector is $\begin{pmatrix}-\frac{3}{11}\\1\end{pmatrix}$.At $\left(1,1\right)$, we have $\mathcal{J} = \begin{pmatrix}-2 & -1\\-5 & 0\end{pmatrix}$; that is, $\text{tr} = -2$, $\det = -5$, and the discriminant is greater than 0.
Therefore, we have a saddle at $\left(1,1\right)$.
For $\lambda = i\sqrt{5}$, the eigenvector is $\begin{pmatrix}\frac{i}{\sqrt{5}}\\1\end{pmatrix}$, so when $\lambda = -i\sqrt{5}$, the eigenvector is $\begin{pmatrix}-\frac{i}{\sqrt{5}}\\1\end{pmatrix}$.

View attachment 389
It is obviously spiral. I have re-checked and done the problem three times and nothing is working out. What is going wrong?

Attachments

• phasebsecond.jpg
    phasebsecond.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 43
Physics news on Phys.org
Check the [2,1] entry of your Jacobian matrix. I see a sign problem.

Related to Stable spiral but math says saddle

What is a stable spiral?

A stable spiral is a type of dynamical system in which the behavior of the system is characterized by a spiral-shaped trajectory that converges towards a fixed point or equilibrium.

What does it mean when math says a system is a saddle?

In mathematics, a saddle is a type of fixed point in a dynamical system where the behavior of the system is characterized by both attractive and repulsive forces. This can result in complex and unpredictable behavior.

How can a system be both a stable spiral and a saddle?

A system can exhibit both stable spiral and saddle behavior if it has multiple fixed points with different stability properties. The spiral behavior near one fixed point may be stable, while the saddle behavior near another fixed point may be unstable.

What factors influence whether a system is a stable spiral or a saddle?

The stability of a system is determined by the eigenvalues of its Jacobian matrix, which is a mathematical representation of the system's behavior. If the eigenvalues are complex, the system will exhibit stable spiral behavior, while real eigenvalues indicate saddle behavior.

What real-world systems can exhibit stable spiral but math says saddle behavior?

Examples of systems that can exhibit this behavior include weather patterns, population dynamics, and chemical reactions. These systems may appear stable and predictable on a macroscopic level, but have underlying chaotic behavior due to the complex interactions of their components.