Stacked blocks on an accelerating elevator

In summary, the contact force between the 30kg and 40kg blocks in the given scenario is 330.5N. This is determined by calculating the total force applied on the 40kg block by the top two blocks, which is equal to the sum of their individual masses multiplied by the acceleration. This force acts in the downward direction and is also the normal force on the 40kg block. In the case of free fall, the apparent weight is reduced and the contact force between the blocks would be 2g multiplied by the mass of the 40kg block.
Chris0101

Homework Statement

Four blocks of masses 20kg, 30kg, 40kg, and 50kg are stacked on top of one another in an elevator in order of decreasing mass with the lightest mass on the top of the stack. The elevator moves downward with an acceleration of ##3.2m/s^2## . Find the contact force between the 30kg and 40kg masses.

Homework Equations

Newton's second law:
##F = ma##

In the case of the question at hand:
##F = mg + ma##

The Attempt at a Solution

Due to the fact that the elevator is moving downward with a positive acceleration, the total force that the top two blocks apply onto the 40kg block will be:

##F = mg + ma##
##F = (50kg)(9.81m/s^2) + (50kg)(3.2m/s^2)##
##F = 490.5N + 160.0N##
##F = 650.5N##

This shows that the force acting on the 40 kg block from the top two blocks (20kg & 30kg) is 650.5N. This downward magnitude of force is the amount of force that the 40kg block has to support which is also the normal force that the 40kg block. With that, the contact force between the 30kg and 40kg block is 650.5N

I'm not sure if this is correct. If someone can correct me on this question that would be great. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that the downward acceleration was 9.81 m/s (that is, g). The elevator's acceleration would then match that due to gravity alone. That would mean the contents would essentially be in free-fall. Would the force then be 2g*50 kg ? In other words, do things feel heavier when the elevator accelerates downwards? Or do they feel lighter?

When the elevator is in free fall, one will experience weightlessness. With that said, if the the elevator is accelerating downward at a fraction of g, one's apparent weight will be less than his/her true weight. With your tip, I see where I went wrong and contact force between the 30kg and 40kg block should be the difference of the the two forces which is a magnitude of 330.5N.

Unfortunately, I do not have a reference to look up this answer, but is 330.5N the correct magnitude of the contact force between the 30kg and 40kg block, or am I forgetting something?

Chris0101 said:
is 330.5N the correct magnitude of the contact force between the 30kg and 40kg
Yes.

Thanks for the help

FAQ: Stacked blocks on an accelerating elevator

1. How does the acceleration of the elevator affect the stacked blocks?

The acceleration of the elevator will affect the stacked blocks by increasing or decreasing the force acting on them. If the elevator is accelerating upwards, the force will be greater and the blocks may topple over. If the elevator is accelerating downwards, the force will be less and the blocks may stay in place.

2. Will the stacked blocks remain stable if the elevator is moving at a constant speed?

Yes, if the elevator is moving at a constant speed, the stacked blocks should remain stable. This is because there is no change in acceleration and therefore no change in the force acting on the blocks.

3. How does the weight of the stacked blocks affect their stability on an accelerating elevator?

The weight of the stacked blocks will affect their stability on an accelerating elevator. Heavier blocks will have a greater force acting on them and may be more likely to topple over compared to lighter blocks. It is important to consider the weight and distribution of the blocks when stacking them on an accelerating elevator.

4. Can the stacked blocks remain stable if the elevator is accelerating at a constant rate?

Yes, if the elevator is accelerating at a constant rate, the stacked blocks should remain stable. This is because the force acting on the blocks will also be constant, allowing them to maintain their position.

5. How does the friction between the blocks affect their stability on an accelerating elevator?

The friction between the blocks can affect their stability on an accelerating elevator. If there is a high level of friction between the blocks, they may be less likely to slide or topple over. However, if there is low friction, the blocks may slide more easily and become unstable. It is important to consider the friction between the blocks when stacking them on an accelerating elevator.

Back