Stagnation Point - Bernoulli Equation

In summary, the pressure at the top of the water surface is just equal to the stagnation pressure at point 1.
LauraMorrison

Homework Statement

Can anyone tell me why, in the figure attached, the pressure in the manometer at 1 is a stagnation pressure?
I understand that you get stagnation pressure at a stagnation point but point one is below the stagnation point, not on the stagnation point. Therefore how can it be a stagnation pressure?

Homework Equations

Ps = P1 + 1/2ρV12

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• bernoulli2011figure.pdf
    98 KB · Views: 353
Physics news on Phys.org
The stagnation pressure is the pressure within that section of pipe where the velocity of the air has been declerated to zero, and not at the point below it where the air is still moving.

At the very entrance to the "manometer", the velocity of the air is zero; otherwise, there would be a flow of air through the manometer. So the very entrance to the manometer is a stagnation point. The pressure at that location is the stagnation pressure given by your equation.

Yes, that is what I thought. The solutions to the question do not agree with this though. I have attached the part of the solution relating to the manometer as the overall question asks to calculate the speed V2. I don't know if this changes anything?

I also emailed my lecturer about this, however his explanation is fairly unsatisfactory as I still don't understand how the height between 1 and the stagnation point cancels. He said:

"The fact that the lower branch of the tube is directed into the flow signifies that stagnation pressure acts there. The change in height between point 1 and the tube entry is canceled out in when calculating the pressure acting at the level of the gauge fluid (water) in the manometer. That is you could take BE between point 1 and tube entry, then relate pressure at tube entry to gauge fluid level, which gives the same result."

Attachments

• manometer2011.pdf
    155.6 KB · Views: 276
LauraMorrison said:
Yes, that is what I thought. The solutions to the question do not agree with this though. I have attached the part of the solution relating to the manometer as the overall question asks to calculate the speed V2. I don't know if this changes anything?

I also emailed my lecturer about this, however his explanation is fairly unsatisfactory as I still don't understand how the height between 1 and the stagnation point cancels. He said:

"The fact that the lower branch of the tube is directed into the flow signifies that stagnation pressure acts there. The change in height between point 1 and the tube entry is canceled out in when calculating the pressure acting at the level of the gauge fluid (water) in the manometer. That is you could take BE between point 1 and tube entry, then relate pressure at tube entry to gauge fluid level, which gives the same result."

The final result in the solution relating to the manometer looks OK to me. The cancellation explanation given to you by your instructor also seems correct to me. Suppose z represents the distance between point 1 and the stagnation location of the manometer. Since the free stream velocity is constant between point 1 and the location of the manometer inlet (except, of course, immediately at the stagnation point), the pressure in the free stream at the elevation of the manometer inlet is p1airgz. So the exact stagnation pressure at the manometer inlet is

p1airgz+(1/2)ρairv12.

Now, let's go inside the manometer. Let's ask what the pressure is within the manometer at the elevation of point 1. This is at the top surface of the water. The top surface of the water is located at the elevation of the manometer inlet minus the distance z. So the pressure at the surface of the water is

p1airgz+(1/2)ρairv12airgz = p1+(1/2)ρairv12

Note that, as your instructor indicated, the term ρairgz has canceled out, and the pressure at the top of the water surface is just equal to the stagnation pressure at point 1.

Thank you very much, great help.

Related to Stagnation Point - Bernoulli Equation

What is the stagnation point in relation to the Bernoulli equation?

The stagnation point is the point at which a fluid flowing around an object comes to a complete stop and the velocity is reduced to zero. It is an important concept in the Bernoulli equation as it is used to calculate the pressure at a given point in a fluid flow.

How is the Bernoulli equation used to calculate the pressure at the stagnation point?

The Bernoulli equation, which states that the sum of kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy is constant in a fluid flow, can be applied at the stagnation point to calculate the pressure. The equation takes into account the velocity of the fluid and the density of the fluid at that point.

What factors affect the pressure at the stagnation point?

The pressure at the stagnation point is influenced by several factors, including the fluid velocity, fluid density, and the shape of the object in the flow. Higher velocities and lower densities result in lower pressure at the stagnation point, while the shape of the object can create areas of high or low pressure.

What is the relationship between the stagnation point and boundary layer separation?

Boundary layer separation occurs when the flow of a fluid around an object becomes disturbed and separates from the surface of the object. The stagnation point is often located at or near the point of boundary layer separation, as the flow of the fluid comes to a complete stop at this point.

How is the Bernoulli equation applied to real-life situations involving the stagnation point?

The Bernoulli equation is commonly used in aerodynamics and fluid mechanics to calculate the pressure at the stagnation point and predict the behavior of fluids in various scenarios. It is also used in designing airfoils and other objects in fluid flow, as well as in analyzing the flow of water in pipes and channels.