Standard deviation and probability help

But the variance should be 720, not the standard deviation. So I used the variance to calculate z score.The probability of accepting a batch with mean length of 106 mm and standard deviation of 6 mm, with a value of a = 104.3 mm, is 0.99.
cyt91

Homework Statement

A sales contract between a manufacturer and a buyer requires 20 towels to be subjected to a water absorption test. If no more than 2 towels fails the test, the batch is accepted. If 2 or 3 towels fail the test, an additional 20 towels are tested. The batch is then accepted if 3 or less (out of 40) fail the test. Otherwise, the batch is rejected.

(a) If a batch of towels contains 5 % which would be rejected by the test,what is the probability that the batch is accepted.

(b) The lengths of 20 towels are measured and if the mean length is less than a value a specified in the contract, the batch is rejected. What should the value of a be to give a probability of 0.99 of accepting a batch with mean length of 106 mm and standard deviation of 6 mm.

I solved (a). The probability that the batch is accepted is 0.8961.

But I can't solve (b).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt on (b) :

Let X:length of a towel.
Y:total length of 20 towels

Y~(2120,720)

P( mean of Y >a ) = 0.99

P ( Y >20a ) = 0.99

P( Z > [20a-2120]/sqrt(720) ) = -2.326

[20a-2120]/sqrt(720) = 0.01

a = 102.9 mm

But the answer provided is 104.3 mm.

Can anyone help me with (b)? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Where do you get 720 from?
It looks like you multiplied the standard deviation of a single towel by the square of the batch size, rather than the square root?

CompuChip said:
Where do you get 720 from?
It looks like you multiplied the standard deviation of a single towel by the square of the batch size, rather than the square root?

6 x 6 x 20 = 720

I'm not sure if my approach is correct.

But why is your standard deviation [itex]6^2 \times 20[/itex]? Shouldn't it be [itex](\sqrt{6}) \times 20[/itex]?

720 is the variance.
In the calculation of z score, I used sqrt(720) to get standard deviation.

Related to Standard deviation and probability help

What is standard deviation?

Standard deviation is a measure of how spread out a set of data is from its mean. It tells us how much the data values deviate from the average value.

Why is standard deviation important?

Standard deviation is important because it allows us to understand the variability of a data set. It helps us determine how reliable or consistent the data is, and it is a crucial tool in statistical analysis and data interpretation.

What is the relationship between standard deviation and probability?

The standard deviation is used to calculate the probability of a certain event occurring. It helps us determine the likelihood of a data point falling within a certain range or interval, which is important in making predictions and drawing conclusions from data.

How do you calculate standard deviation?

To calculate the standard deviation, you first find the mean of the data set. Then, for each data point, you find the difference between that data point and the mean, square it, and add it to the total. Finally, divide the total by the number of data points and take the square root of the result. This is the standard deviation.

How is standard deviation used in real life?

Standard deviation is used in various fields, including finance, science, and social sciences. It is used to analyze stock market trends, measure the effectiveness of medical treatments, and understand the distribution of data in surveys and polls.