Standard Matrix A for Linear Transformation T: R^3 to R^4

In summary, the standard matrix for a linear transformation between two vector spaces is the matrix that sums up the vectors in the transformation.
mateomy
Linear transformation [itex]T:\,\mathbb{R}^3\,\to\,\mathbb{R}^4[/itex]

Find the standard matrix A for T

[tex]
T\left(x_1,x_2,x_3\right)\,=\,\left(x_1 + x_2 + x_3, x_2 + x_3, 3x_1 + x_2, 2x_2 + x_3\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
\mathbf{v}\,=\,\begin{bmatrix}
x_1\\
x_2\\
x_3
\end{bmatrix}\,\,\,\,T\left(\mathbf{v}\right)\,=\,T\,\begin{bmatrix}
x_1\\
x_2\\
x_3
\end{bmatrix}\,=\,\begin{bmatrix}
x_1 + x_2 + x_3\\
x_2 + x_3\\
3x_1 + x_2\\
2x_2 + x_3
1 & 1 & 1\\
0 & 1 & 1\\
3 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 2 & 1
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]Is that correct? I feel like I'm just walking down a blind alley with this problem. The text is sort of convoluted in this section and I can't seem to find any supplementary material that I feel is helpful.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mateomy said:

[tex]
T\left(x_1,x_2,x_3\right)\,=\,\left(x_1 + x_2 + x_3, x_2 + x_3, 3x_1 + x_2, 2x_2 + x_3\right)
[/tex]

[tex]
x_1\\
x_2\\
x_3
x_1\\
x_2\\
x_3
x_1 + x_2 + x_3\\
x_2 + x_3\\
3x_1 + x_2\\
2x_2 + x_3
1 & 1 & 1\\
0 & 1 & 1\\
3 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 2 & 1
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

Is that correct? I feel like I'm just walking down a blind alley with this problem. The text is sort of convoluted in this section and I can't seem to find any supplementary material that I feel is helpful.

Thanks.

Your last = sign has a 4 by 1 matrix equal to a 4 by 3 matrix. You left something out. There doesn't seem to be a question in your post but once you fix that last matrix equality your work looks correct.

That's what I'm really confused about. How do you show the transformation with the matrices?

You just need the matrix $$
X = \begin{bmatrix}
x_1\\ x_2\\ x_3
\end{bmatrix}$$

column matrix on the right of that last matrix. Then, calling your matrix ##A## you have ##T(X) = AX##

Okay, thank you.

mateomy said:

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
x_1\\
x_2\\
x_3
x_1\\
x_2\\
x_3
x_1 + x_2 + x_3\\
x_2 + x_3\\
3x_1 + x_2\\
2x_2 + x_3
1 & 1 & 1\\
0 & 1 & 1\\
3 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 2 & 1
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

Is that correct? I feel like I'm just walking down a blind alley with this problem. The text is sort of convoluted in this section and I can't seem to find any supplementary material that I feel is helpful.

Thanks.

It would have been correct if you had written
[tex] T(\mathbf{v}) = \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 & 1\\
0 & 1 & 1\\
3 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 2 & 1
\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}
x_1\\
x_2\\
x_3
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

RGV

Related to Standard Matrix A for Linear Transformation T: R^3 to R^4

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another, while preserving the basic structure of the original space. This means that the transformation preserves the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation can be represented using a matrix. The columns of the matrix represent the images of the basis vectors of the original vector space in the new vector space. The matrix itself is known as the transformation matrix.

3. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a non-linear transformation?

A linear transformation preserves the structure of the original vector space, while a non-linear transformation does not. This means that a linear transformation maps lines to lines, while a non-linear transformation can map lines to curves or other shapes.

4. What are some examples of linear transformations?

Some common examples of linear transformations include scaling, rotation, reflection, and shearing. For example, scaling a vector space by a factor of 2 would be a linear transformation, as it preserves the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

5. How are linear transformations used in real life?

Linear transformations have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. For example, in computer graphics, linear transformations are used to transform 3D objects into 2D images on a screen.