Standard matrix for reflection across the line y=-x

In summary: So to represent the matrix T in terms of a 2 by 2 matrix, I would start with the identity matrix: \begin{matrix}1& 0\\0& 1\end{matrix}Then I would add the reflection across the line L:\begin{matrix}-1& 0\\0& -1\end{matrix}And finally, I would multiply it by the vector x:\begin{matrix}T&x\\0& 1\end{matrix}
fattycakez

Homework Statement

Let T : R2→R2, be the matrix operator for reflection across the line L : y = -x

a. Find the standard matrix [T] by finding T(e1) and T(e2)

b. Find a non-zero vector x such that T(x) = x

c. Find a vector in the domain of T for which T(x,y) = (-3,5)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I found [T] =
0 -1
-1 0

b. I'm not really sure what this is asking. Do I just pick a random x = (x1,x2)
and then plug in T(x) = x?

c. T(-3, 5) would be (-5, 3). Is that what the question is asking? Is (-5, 3) in the domain of T?

Help me, I'm stupid :D

Physics news on Phys.org
a. I got ##\Big( \begin{matrix} 0 & 1 \\ -1 & 0 \end{matrix} \Big)##

b. you want to find a vector that the matrix doesn't move. So you don't pick a random one, you start with T(x, y) = (x, y) & then find a vector that satisfies that equation.

c. that's right

fattycakez said:

Homework Statement

Let T : R2→R2, be the matrix operator for reflection across the line L : y = -x

a. Find the standard matrix [T] by finding T(e1) and T(e2)

b. Find a non-zero vector x such that T(x) = x

c. Find a vector in the domain of T for which T(x,y) = (-3,5)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I found [T] =
0 -1
-1 0

I agree.

b. I'm not really sure what this is asking. Do I just pick a random x = (x1,x2)
and then plug in T(x) = x?

If you think geometrically about the reflection you are given, isn't it pretty clear which points wouldn't move?

c. T(-3, 5) would be (-5, 3). Is that what the question is asking? Is (-5, 3) in the domain of T?

Yes.

Thanks guys!
fourier jr said:
a. I got ##\Big( \begin{matrix} 0 & 1 \\ -1 & 0 \end{matrix} \Big)##

b. you want to find a vector that the matrix doesn't move. So you don't pick a random one, you start with T(x, y) = (x, y) & then find a vector that satisfies that equation.

c. that's right
How did you get that matrix?

LCKurtz said:
I agree.
If you think geometrically about the reflection you are given, isn't it pretty clear which points wouldn't move?
Yes.
After fiddling with some numbers to try to get it to work I got T(-1, 1) = (-1, 1) which would be a point on the line y = -x so I guess all the points on the line wouldn't move obviously right?

fattycakez said:
After fiddling with some numbers to try to get it to work I got T(-1, 1) = (-1, 1) which would be a point on the line y = -x so I guess all the points on the line wouldn't move obviously right?

Fiddling?? Do you mean guessing? Experimenting?? What happens to any point on the line ##y=-x## when you reflect it in that line? Or if you solve$$
\begin{bmatrix}
0& -1\\
-1 & 0
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix} a\\b\end{bmatrix} =
\begin{bmatrix} a\\b\end{bmatrix}
$$for ##a## and ##b##? No guesswork needed.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Fiddling?? Do you mean guessing? Experimenting?? What happens to any point on the line ##y=-x## when you reflect in in that line? Or if you solve$$
\begin{bmatrix}
0& -1\\
-1 & 0
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix} a\\b\end{bmatrix} =
\begin{bmatrix} a\\b\end{bmatrix}
$$for ##a## and ##b##? No guesswork needed.
It reflects onto the line but in the opposite quadrant?

No. Think of your line as a mirror. Any point some distance away on one side of the mirror reflects to appear the same distance away on the other side of the mirror. What about a paint dot right on the mirror. Where does its reflection appear to be?

LCKurtz said:
No. Think of your line as a mirror. Any point some distance away on one side of the mirror reflects to appear the same distance away on the other side of the mirror. What about a paint dot right on the mirror. Where does its reflection appear to be?
It doesn't move then right? Its reflection is on its original location?

fattycakez said:
How did you get that matrix?

Never mind I did the matrix for the wrong transformation o0) it made sense at the time anyway

Here's how I would do that problem: Any 2 by 2 matrix can be written as [tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix}[/tex]. "Reflecting about the line y= -x" the vector <1, 0> is mapped into < 0, -1> and the vector <0, 1> is mapped into <-1, 0>.

So we must have [tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex] and [tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix} -1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex].

Doing the matrix multiplications on the left and setting the components equal to the right gives you four equations to solve for a, b, c, and d.

fattycakez said:
It doesn't move then right? Its reflection is on its original location?
Right. So for that reflection, it's pretty obvious geometrically which points in ##R^2## give ##T(x) = x##.

LCKurtz said:
Right. So for that reflection, it's pretty obvious geometrically which points in ##R^2## give ##T(x) = x##.
Cool thanks, that makes sense! I learned everything I know about math from U of A, its not my fault :D

Related to Standard matrix for reflection across the line y=-x

What is a standard matrix for reflection across the line y=-x?

A standard matrix for reflection across the line y=-x is a 2x2 matrix that represents a geometric transformation in which a figure or object is flipped across the line y=-x, also known as the line of reflection.

How do I find the standard matrix for reflection across the line y=-x?

To find the standard matrix for reflection across the line y=-x, you can use the formula [−1 0, 0 −1], where the first row represents the x-coordinates of the reflected points and the second row represents the y-coordinates of the reflected points.

What is the purpose of using a standard matrix for reflection across the line y=-x?

The purpose of using a standard matrix for reflection across the line y=-x is to easily and efficiently calculate the new coordinates of a figure or object after it has been reflected across the line y=-x. This is particularly useful in computer graphics and other applications where reflections need to be performed quickly.

Can a figure or object be reflected across the line y=-x more than once?

Yes, a figure or object can be reflected across the line y=-x multiple times. Each reflection will result in a new standard matrix that can be used to calculate the new coordinates of the figure or object.

What happens to the coordinates of a figure or object when it is reflected across the line y=-x?

When a figure or object is reflected across the line y=-x, the x-coordinates become the negative of their original values and the y-coordinates become the negative of their original values. This means that points on the left side of the line y=-x will be reflected to the right side, and points on the right side will be reflected to the left side.