Standing Waves - Loud and Soft spots

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of standing waves and the difference between pressure standing waves and displacement standing waves. The question arises about which antinodes are considered "loud spots" and the theory behind it. The answer involves understanding the definition of "loud" and how the human ears respond to pressure variations. Proper measurements would involve using small probes to accurately measure nodes and antinodes.
VagrantPirate
Ok, I've got a conceptual issue that I can't seem to resolve.
Basically, as far as I know, standing waves can be visualised as displacement standing waves or pressure standing waves and I know that pressure nodes are displacement antinodes and vice versa.
However, I've been told that pressure antinodes are "loud spots" due to maximum pressure variation although I've also heard that displacement antinodes are "loud spots" due to maximum displacement of the particles. Obviously, they can't both be loud spots so which one is true and what's the theory behind it? It would be appreciated if the loud/soft spots could be explained in terms of both pressure and displacement.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the answer to this one involves what you mean by "loud". Afaik, your ears respond to pressure so the subjectively loud spots will be where the pressure variations are greatest. For a nice long wavelength of sound - say 100Hz / 3.3m - you wouldn't 'hear' the air rushing back and forth round your head (at pressure nodes) as much as you would 'hear' the large pressure variations a quarter wavelength away. BUT, because your head would get in the way, the waves won't behave quite the same as they would if they were unimpeded. There will be resultant pressure changes around your ears even at the velocity antinodes.
'Proper' measurements would involve small (enough) velocity or pressure measuring probes - then you would get good nodes and antinodes.

Related to Standing Waves - Loud and Soft spots

What are standing waves?

Standing waves are a type of wave that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This results in a pattern of nodes (points of no displacement) and antinodes (points of maximum displacement) along the medium through which the waves are traveling.

What is the difference between a loud spot and a soft spot in a standing wave?

A loud spot in a standing wave is a point where the amplitude of the wave is at its maximum, resulting in a loud sound. A soft spot, on the other hand, is a point where the amplitude is at its minimum, resulting in a softer sound or no sound at all.

How do loud and soft spots in standing waves occur?

Loud and soft spots in standing waves occur due to constructive and destructive interference between the two waves. At a loud spot, the two waves are in phase and their amplitudes add up, resulting in a larger amplitude and a louder sound. At a soft spot, the two waves are out of phase and their amplitudes cancel out, resulting in a smaller or no amplitude and a softer sound.

What factors can affect the placement of loud and soft spots in standing waves?

The placement of loud and soft spots in standing waves can be affected by the frequency, amplitude, and wavelength of the waves, as well as the properties of the medium through which the waves are traveling. Additionally, the geometry of the medium, such as its shape and boundaries, can also affect the placement of loud and soft spots.

What are some practical applications of standing waves?

Standing waves have many practical applications, including musical instruments, such as stringed instruments and wind instruments, where the standing waves created produce different pitches. They are also used in acoustics and engineering to understand and control sound waves in various environments, such as concert halls and buildings. Standing waves also play a role in technologies like ultrasound imaging and microwave ovens.