Star Distribution - Types, Galaxies & Time

In summary, the conversation discusses the interest in determining the percentage distribution of stars by type, both within our galaxy and within other galaxy types. This information is typically plotted on an HR diagram, but does not provide the exact percentages. The conversation also mentions a desire to understand the structures and evolution of galaxies and how they relate to other types during their evolution.
TheSicilianSa
I'm quite interested in finding out the % distribution of stars (by type, viz. O,B,..,M), a) within our galaxy and b) within other galaxy types (ex. globular, etc) - and how these distributions change with time.

Can anyone sate my curiosity (or point me in the right direction) ?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thanks mgb_phys for you input, but that's not exactly what I was looking for.

I would like to know the particular structures of galaxies, how they evolve and how they relate to other types during their period of evolution.

Related to Star Distribution - Types, Galaxies & Time

1. What are the different types of star distribution?

The three main types of star distribution are random, clustered, and spiral. In random distribution, stars are scattered randomly in space with no particular pattern. In clustered distribution, stars are grouped together in a specific area, often found in star clusters. Spiral distribution is characterized by a spiral shape, with stars forming arms around a central point.

2. What are the different types of galaxies?

There are three main types of galaxies: spiral, elliptical, and irregular. Spiral galaxies have a distinct spiral shape with a central bulge and arms of stars. Elliptical galaxies have an elliptical shape and contain mostly older stars. Irregular galaxies have no specific shape and can vary greatly in size and composition.

3. How do galaxies form?

Galaxies form through the gravitational collapse of gas, dust, and dark matter. As the collapsed material comes together, it forms stars and eventually a galaxy. The exact process of how galaxies form is still being studied and is not yet fully understood.

4. Can galaxies change over time?

Yes, galaxies can change over time. They can collide with other galaxies, merge together, or have new stars formed within them. Over billions of years, galaxies can also evolve and change in shape, size, and composition.

5. How do scientists study the distribution of stars and galaxies?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study the distribution of stars and galaxies. These include telescopes, satellites, and computer simulations. By studying the light and movement of stars and galaxies, scientists can learn more about their distribution and characteristics.