Stark Effect using first order variation theory.

In summary, When calculating the change in energy using variation theory for the Stark effect, the error Hamiltonian is defined as |\vec{E}|cos\theta\bullet eR. The change in energy for the 1s orbital of a hydrogen atom can be found using the integral <E>=k\int r^3e^{-2r/a}dr \int sin\theta cos\theta d\theta \int d\varphi, but the middle integral becomes 0 when the limits of 0 and pi are plugged in. This may be due to the perturbation coupling the 1s with the 2p state, and the volume element in r should be r^2 instead of r^3. However,
scorpion990
EDIT: Sorry... I have to use perturbation theory. My mistake.

Hey... I have a quick question. I have to calculate the approximate change in energy via variation theory when the 'error' Hamiltonian for the Stark effect is defined as: [tex]|\vec{E}|cos\theta\bullet eR[/tex]

If I'm not mistaken, the change in energy of the 1s orbital of a hydrogen atom will be:

<E>=k[tex]\int r^3e^{-2r/a}dr \int sin\theta cos\theta d\theta \int d\varphi[/tex]

However, the middle integral becomes 0 when the limits of 0 and pi are plugged in. This doesn't seem right. Am I doing anything incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
The perturbation couples 1s with 2p state. It would not perturb the 1s only (In this case your integral is correct). Besides your volume element in r should be r^2 and not r^3.

H_stark=<1s|z|2p>

One "r" comes from the definition of the perturbed Hamiltonian. The other two come from the jacobian in spherical coordinates.

I'm not really sure what I have to do now, though. I'm not familiar with your notation. Sorry =(

Related to Stark Effect using first order variation theory.

1. What is the Stark Effect?

The Stark Effect is a phenomenon observed in atoms or molecules when they are placed in an external electric field. It causes the energy levels of the atom or molecule to shift, resulting in changes in its spectral lines.

2. What is first order variation theory?

First order variation theory is a mathematical approach used to calculate the energy levels of an atom or molecule in an external electric field. It takes into account the perturbations caused by the electric field on the energy levels of the system.

3. How does the Stark Effect using first order variation theory work?

In the Stark Effect using first order variation theory, the energy levels of the system are calculated by considering the unperturbed energy levels and the perturbations caused by the electric field. This results in a variation of the energy levels, which can be used to determine the changes in the spectral lines.

4. What are the assumptions made in the Stark Effect using first order variation theory?

The Stark Effect using first order variation theory assumes that the external electric field is weak, the atom or molecule is in its ground state, and that the perturbations caused by the electric field are small compared to the unperturbed energy levels of the system.

5. What applications does the Stark Effect using first order variation theory have?

The Stark Effect using first order variation theory has applications in spectroscopy, where it is used to study the energy levels and spectral lines of atoms and molecules in external electric fields. It is also used in the development of electronic devices such as lasers and sensors.