Start Your Clock Business with Roman Numerals

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision to use Roman numerals for a clock business and the need for an efficient mold to create the numbers. It is determined that the traditional design for Roman numeral clocks includes a IIII instead of a IV. The conversation also briefly touches on geekiness and a random encounter with a unique clock design.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You decide to start a business selling clocks.

http://www.sjs.net.au/pics/1/1962b.jpg

You decide Roman numerals make a clock look a lot more stylish and that all of the clocks you sell will use Roman numerals. In the interest of efficiency, you need a single mold that will create all of the numbers necessary for your clock. Each mold set can be cut however necessary (i.e group two I's or a single I, etc), but each numeral on the clock has to be a single piece (i.e. the XI has to be next to each other on the mold set). You can use more than one mold set for each clock, but every symbol on the mold sets used have to be used. If you have extra V's, extra I's, extra X's, then you're just wasting resources.

http://wallwinedecor.com/Images/wallclocks/Roman%20numeral%20xlarge%20wall%20clock.jpg

What should be the layout of each moldset (i.e. - what Roman numerals should be on each set) and how many sets are necessary for each clock.

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/6771743/2/istockphoto_6771743-classic-clock-roman-numerals.jpg

Oh, darn. I can't delete this and repost even immediately after posting. How did I wind up one level to high when I posted this?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure I understand the question, but going with my best interpretation...
I I I V I I I X laid out inside an annular region so that the X is again followed by the I I I ... If that makes no sense, I probably didn't understand the question. But if it does, that would be an 8 symbol mold, and it assumes that IV is used to represent 4. There seem to be obvious issues with such a mold (outside the parameters of the puzzle), but that may again be because I'm misunderstanding the question.

Use an acid etching machine. Have a computer print out the design and have it etched on a metal clock face.

Do I win?

Gokul43201 said:
Not sure I understand the question, but going with my best interpretation...
I I I V I I I X laid out inside an annular region so that the X is again followed by the I I I ... If that makes no sense, I probably didn't understand the question. But if it does, that would be an 8 symbol mold, and it assumes that IV is used to represent 4. There seem to be obvious issues with such a mold (outside the parameters of the puzzle), but that may again be because I'm misunderstanding the question.

Check the pictures of the clocks. This is the norm for clocks using Roman numerals. There's a reason for that norm.

[Totally unrelated]
I saw a remarkable clock the other day. It did not have the "normal" (Louis XIV) clock configuration. My friends, who were present when I pointed it out, did not understand my remark.
[/Totally unrelated]

It's not easy being geek
But geek is what I am and I have to learn to live with it.

Is that why there's a IIII instead of a IV?

dlgoff said:
Is that why there's a IIII instead of a IV?
That is the traditional design for Roman Numeral clocks, yes.

4 X's, 4 V's, and 20 I's. Means you need 4 identical molds to make one clock.

VIIIIIX

Slice each up as necessary to make the numerals for your clock (note that X and I look identical whether they're upside down or right side up).

Cool.

Boy, do I feel stupid for throwing in all those I's before the V.

DaveC426913 said:
(Louis XIV)

And occurred prior to, too.

Is that geeky? :eek:

DaveC426913 said:
[Totally unrelated]
I saw a remarkable clock the other day. It did not have the "normal" (Louis XIV) clock configuration. My friends, who were present when I pointed it out, did not understand my remark.
[/Totally unrelated]
Wasn't this one, was it?

http://www.visitingdc.com/images/big-ben-picture-2.jpg

I have now spent too much time on trivia ranging from the Roman spelling of Jupiter (or at least parts thereof) to the time of Lincoln's assassination.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201 said:
Wasn't this one, was it?
:biggrin: No. It was on someone's mantle.

FAQ: Start Your Clock Business with Roman Numerals

1. What are Roman numerals and how are they used in a clock business?

Roman numerals are a numerical system developed by the ancient Romans. They are used in a clock business for the purpose of displaying time using a combination of letters and symbols instead of traditional Hindu-Arabic numerals.

2. What are the advantages of using Roman numerals in a clock business?

Using Roman numerals in a clock business can add a sense of sophistication and elegance to the design of the clock. It can also make the clock stand out and be a unique addition to any room. Additionally, Roman numerals are culturally significant and have historical value, which can appeal to customers.

3. Are there any limitations to using Roman numerals in a clock business?

One limitation of using Roman numerals in a clock business is that they can be more difficult to read and understand for some people, especially those who are not familiar with them. Additionally, using Roman numerals may limit the options for customizing the clock face, as they have a fixed set of symbols and combinations.

4. How do I convert traditional time to Roman numerals for my clock business?

To convert traditional time to Roman numerals for your clock business, you can use a conversion chart or an online converter tool. Alternatively, you can use the following rules: I represents 1, V represents 5, X represents 10, L represents 50, C represents 100, D represents 500, and M represents 1000. Simply add the corresponding symbols to represent the hour, minute, and second hands on the clock.

5. Can I use Roman numerals in all types of clocks for my business?

Yes, you can use Roman numerals in all types of clocks for your business, including analog and digital clocks. However, it is important to consider the size and design of the clock face to ensure that the Roman numerals are legible and do not overpower the overall design of the clock.

Back