Starting community college, need advice.

In summary: Exactly the same problem at my CC, which is why I am transferring early, before I get my AS degree. It's a shame, and it's been a bit stressful at times hoping my class doesn't get dropped, but I still don't regret going to my CC -- it has been a great experience.
TheKracken
I am out of high school now at the age 16 (took the California High school proficience exam) and now I will be going to the local community college next semester. I hope to major in physics+mathematics when I transfer. I have taken up to alegebra 2 (failed a semester of it though) so I will probably be placed in Intermideate alegebra but maybe I can self study and place higher? This next semester I would like to just ease into college as I didn't do the greatest in high school. I plan to take College chemistry (5) (not intro to chem but first semester chemistry :) ) A math class (3-5) and German I (5) does this seem to much? That is 15 credits yet seems like nothing. Any advice for me as I start my adventure towards physics would be very nice. I have a few months till next semester to prepare for the math placement test.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone willing to help me out?

Only you can decide how much is too much for you. And, really, nothing you've asked us wouldn't be better asked of a counselor at your community college who knows the offerings better.

*review lectures the day you receive them

*work problems everyday

*read ahead

*play hard but not harder than you work

Have you tried khan academy for self study?

i would say you should definitely try self studying and trying to place higher for math, because if your community college is anything like mine, you might have a hard time getting the math or physics classes you need.

miglo said:
i would say you should definitely try self studying and trying to place higher for math, because if your community college is anything like mine, you might have a hard time getting the math or physics classes you need.

This is especially true with my CC; there is a severe lack of physics and math majors, so the upper-level courses are provided as needed, on a need-basis depending on how many students are eligible and want to take those classes for the semester. Sometimes when not enough students enroll before the deadline, they drop the course entirely so then you have a lack of classes to take because they don't offer any other upper-level classes or you've taken them already.

PhizKid said:
This is especially true with my CC; there is a severe lack of physics and math majors, so the upper-level courses are provided as needed, on a need-basis depending on how many students are eligible and want to take those classes for the semester. Sometimes when not enough students enroll before the deadline, they drop the course entirely so then you have a lack of classes to take because they don't offer any other upper-level classes or you've taken them already.

Exactly the same problem at my CC, which is why I am transferring early, before I get my AS degree. It's a shame, and it's been a bit stressful at times hoping my class doesn't get dropped, but I still don't regret going to my CC -- it has been a great experience.

Related to Starting community college, need advice.

1. What are the benefits of starting at a community college?

Community colleges offer a more affordable option for higher education, allowing students to save money on tuition and other expenses. They also provide smaller class sizes, more personalized attention from professors, and a flexible schedule for those with other commitments.

2. How do I choose the right community college for me?

Consider factors such as location, cost, available programs and courses, transfer opportunities, and campus resources when choosing a community college. You may also want to visit the campus and speak with current students and faculty to get a better sense of the community and atmosphere.

3. How can I make the most out of my community college experience?

Get involved in extracurricular activities, join clubs and organizations, and take advantage of resources such as tutoring and career services. Network with professors and classmates, and consider internships or volunteer opportunities to gain hands-on experience in your field of interest.

4. Will my credits transfer to a four-year university?

Many community colleges have articulation agreements with four-year universities, which means that certain credits will transfer seamlessly to those institutions. However, it is important to research and plan ahead to ensure that your credits will transfer to the specific university and program you are interested in.

5. How can I pay for community college?

There are various options for financing your community college education, including federal and state financial aid, scholarships, and grants. You may also consider working part-time or taking advantage of payment plans offered by the college. It is important to research and apply for financial aid early on to ensure you have the necessary funding for your education.