Stat Mech, question about average of function of ith state.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of average values in statistical physics, specifically the average of a quantity <F(i)> associated with the ith state of a system. This average is calculated by summing over all possible states and their corresponding probabilities. The conversation also highlights the importance of this average, as it can provide valuable information about the system, such as its fairness or energy levels. In statistical physics, where individual particle states cannot be measured, averages play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of large systems.
Zacarias Nason
I just started learning some Stat. Mech by Leonard Susskind's lectures and am in a part briefly overviewing basic probability in general; One of the things brought up was F(i), some quantity associated with the ith state of a system, and the important average of F(i) averaged over the probability distribution, or:

[tex] < F(i)> \ = \sum_{i} F(i)P(i) [/tex]

where F(i) is again some quantity associated with the ith state and P(i) is the probability of that particular outcome; Susskind emphasizes that the average of F(i) does not have to be any of the values it can take on, e.g. if your system is a coin toss where heads and tails are assigned values of F(H) = 1, F(T) = -1 respectively, <F(i)> when you have a very large number of tosses should approach zero. If this can't represent one of the values of F(i), what is the value or purpose of <F(i)>? What does it tell you? Why is it important?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zacarias Nason said:
If this can't represent one of the values of F(i), what is the value or purpose of <F(i)>? What does it tell you? Why is it important?
It can tell you a lot. For instance, in the example of the coin, having an average of zero tells you that the coin is fair. Having an average of 1/2 tells you that the probability for head is higher than the probability for tail, that the coin is not fair. For a certain physical system, this could tell you that the energy of the "head" state is lower than the energy of the "tail" state.

What you have to keep in mind is that statistical physics often deals with very large systems (~1023 particles), where all that you will be able to measure are average values on that ensemble, not the state of individual particles making up that system. Averages are therefore closely linked to measurements.

Likes Zacarias Nason

Related to Stat Mech, question about average of function of ith state.

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to understand and predict the behavior of systems made up of a large number of particles. It is based on the idea that the macroscopic properties of a system, such as temperature and pressure, can be described by the average behavior of the individual particles that make up the system.

2. What is the "i"th state in statistical mechanics?

The "i"th state in statistical mechanics refers to a specific configuration of a system, where the positions and velocities of all the particles are known. It is used to calculate the probability of a system being in a particular state.

3. How do you calculate the average of a function of the "i"th state in statistical mechanics?

The average of a function of the "i"th state in statistical mechanics is calculated by summing over all possible states and weighting each state by its probability. This can be represented by the equation:

<F(i)> = Σ P(i)F(i)

4. What is the significance of calculating the average of a function of the "i"th state in statistical mechanics?

Calculating the average of a function of the "i"th state allows us to understand the behavior of a system at the microscopic level. It helps us to determine the most probable state of a system and to make predictions about its macroscopic properties.

5. How is statistical mechanics related to thermodynamics?

Statistical mechanics and thermodynamics are closely related fields, with statistical mechanics providing a microscopic understanding of the macroscopic laws of thermodynamics. Statistical mechanics explains how the macroscopic properties of a system arise from the behavior of individual particles, and allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a system at the thermodynamic limit, where the number of particles approaches infinity.