Static and Kinetic Friction problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a box at rest on a horizontal surface, with coefficients of static and kinetic friction. The question asks which of the following is true if the box is pushed with a force of 20N parallel to the floor. Through further discussion, it is determined that the box will remain stationary due to the maximum static Ff of 20N opposing the intended motion. This confirms the correct answer, as there may be different versions of the question.
jff0404
1. Homework Statement [/b]
A box weighing 100N is at rest on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of static friction between the box and the surface is 0.5, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.25. If the crate is pushed with a force of 20N parallel to the floor, which of the following is true?

2. Homework Equations [/b]
Force of Friction=μ(normal force)

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b]
The static friction force is μ(normal force) and normal F=100N. Static Ff=0.5(100N)=50N. And the box is pushed with less force than the max static Ff so "the crate will remain stationary, due to the static Ff of 50N which opposes the intended motion"... but I got it wrong. I don't know why. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
What were the other answer options?

The right answer choice was "the crate will accelerate across the floor at 3m/s^2." But at could be wrong because that was my friend's answer, and we might have different versions.

What would Newton say about a 50N force in one direction and a 20N force in the other?

Ummm... the box would move to the direction of 50N force?

So the box wouldn't move because 50N static Force of friction is greater than the 20N pushing force? That's what I put and I got the wrong answer. I mean, the static friction isn't causing the box to move in the other direction..

Ibix said:
What would Newton say about a 50N force in one direction and a 20N force in the other?

Think about this suggestion, and draw a force diagram if it helps. What is the static friction force when the block is at rest?
This is a little like if I told you that a force of 3000N is required to break down my front door. If it exerted 3000N whenever someone touched it, they would go flying backwards. This obviously isn't the case, and simply from F=ma we know that if we have a = 0, then F = Fn.

So the static Ff is 50N at rest? Then what's the maximum static Ff? And even if the box moved, the kinetic friction force would be 25N which is still less than 20N so it can't accelerate (I think). Could somebody at least tell me if the "right answer" is correct? If it is, I still have to show work so I'm going to ask my teacher anyways, and if it' not, well then, I have to move on cause I have a lot to do.

No, my point was that there is no "friction force" when we're not pushing on the box. There is always a static coefficient, but I was trying to get you to think of it like a wall that requires a certain force to break through. In my example, if I push on the door with 400 N, it pushes back with a normal force of 400 N, all the way up to 3000 N, at which point the net force becomes unbalanced and the door accelerates as it breaks.

I believe your answer was correct, other than stating that Ff = 50N. Ff is in fact just equal and opposite to your applied force, up to 50 N, at which point it "breaks" and then kinetic friction takes over. So the answer should be something like, ""the crate will remain stationary, due to the static Ff of 20N which opposes the intended motion"

Edit: Incase it wasn't clear, your friend must have a different version of the question.

Yes, I got it now, that was exactly the answer. Thank you all, especially bossman27!

Related to Static and Kinetic Friction problem

1. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object that is already moving.

2. How do you calculate static and kinetic friction?

Static friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of static friction by the normal force, while kinetic friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of kinetic friction by the normal force.

3. What factors affect the values of static and kinetic friction?

The values of static and kinetic friction are affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the force pushing the objects together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

4. Why is it easier to start moving an object than to keep it moving?

This is because the force of static friction is typically higher than the force of kinetic friction. It takes more force to overcome the initial static friction and start the object moving, but once it is moving, the kinetic friction is lower, making it easier to maintain the motion.

5. How can friction be reduced in a system?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, reducing the weight of the objects in contact, and using smoother surfaces. Additionally, increasing the surface area of contact can also decrease friction.