Static coefficient of friction between copper or brass

In summary: Is your fastener size based entirely upon getting a required design load or compensation for potential thermal expansion loosening or contact pressure loss; or is there some other factor that is causing you to use a fastener size greater than what would be required for sufficient fastener grip (i.e. for an electrical service it might be current carrying capacity) causing you to select a bolt loading higher than what is required.For that level of force and a frictional coefficient of 1.0, I'm not surprised you need 2700 ft-lbs. You will need to lower the coefficient of friction (maybe with a grease) if you want to reduce the torque requirement.
Platanus3
Hello all

I'm trying to calculate a torque needed to tighten a threaded terminal. (Both male and female parts are copper alloy)

I'm using Motosh's equation which requires me to use the coefficient of friction.

Web sources tells me that the copper-copper coefficient of friction is 1.0.

The problem is that coefficient of friction value of 1.0 gives me a torque value that seems to be too high.

Can anyone advise me on this issue?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Whats your the pitch of your screw? Also the angle at which the contact is made between the 2 points, I imagine the force to calculate friction would be from the axial force created from turning the screw.

If you are using the generally accepted Motosh equation, I have verified the average coefficient of copper to equal 1.00, the result you are getting may not be what you want but it should be considered accurate.

bsheikho said:
Whats your the pitch of your screw? Also the angle at which the contact is made between the 2 points, I imagine the force to calculate friction would be from the axial force created from turning the screw.

Sorry for the late response.
Pitch is 0.0833 inch because the threads belong to unified fine thread (1.500-12UN-2A and -2B)
Thread angle is 60 degree (I believe a standard value), so I used alpha value of 30 degree in Motosh equation.
My machinery handbook tells me to calculate the yield clamping force and yes it does take the friction between threads into account. But the value is too high. I get like 2771 lb-ft of torque.

JBA said:
If you are using the generally accepted Motosh equation, I have verified the average coefficient of copper to equal 1.00, the result you are getting may not be what you want but it should be considered accurate.

OK. If then, what is the realistic safety factor I should apply?
The result seems too high.
For 1.500-12UN-2A (and 2B), I get like 2771 ft-lbs of torque.
Yield strength I used is 45,000 psi (Copper alloy)

How much force are you trying to get out of the terminal once tightened?

Mech_Engineer said:

Mech_Engineer said:

I'm using yield clamping force which calculates to be 12315 lb force

It is always preferable to stretch a fastener beyond its required design contact or tensile loading but this can be achieved without actually designing for loading to yield. Are you sure that you really require a level of loading that high?

Is your fastener size based entirely upon getting a required design load or compensation for potential thermal expansion loosening or contact pressure loss; or is there some other factor that is causing you to use a fastener size greater than what would be required for sufficient fastener grip (i.e. for an electrical service it might be current carrying capacity) causing you to select a bolt loading higher than what is required.

Platanus3 said:
I'm using yield clamping force which calculates to be 12315 lb force

For that level of force and a frictional coefficient of 1.0, I'm not surprised you need 2700 ft-lbs. You will need to lower the coefficient of friction (maybe with a grease) if you want to reduce the torque requirement.

Related to Static coefficient of friction between copper or brass

What is the static coefficient of friction?

The static coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact when there is no relative motion between them.

How is the static coefficient of friction calculated?

The static coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the maximum force of static friction by the normal force between two surfaces.

What factors can affect the static coefficient of friction?

The static coefficient of friction can be affected by the type of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force applied to the surfaces.

Is there a difference in the static coefficient of friction between copper and brass?

Yes, there can be a difference in the static coefficient of friction between copper and brass, as they have different surface properties and can interact differently with other materials.

Why is the static coefficient of friction important in scientific research?

The static coefficient of friction is important in scientific research because it can help determine the stability and movement of objects, as well as the amount of force needed to overcome friction and cause motion. It is also important in studying the behavior of materials in various environments and conditions.