Static Equilibrium and magnitude

In summary, static equilibrium means that the resultant force between two objects is zero at an optional point. However, it is not always possible to achieve static equilibrium, as objects can rotate and/or translate around this point.
emohabatzadeh
1.we know that generally, every force systems can be replaced by a resultant force(R) and a couple(M) at a point O. the position of point O is optional.
but magnitude and direction of M is dependent to this point while magnitude and direction of R is independent.
In static equilibrium R and M are zero at an optional point O. now this is the question:

2.While M is zero at an optional point O, why should we conclude that M would be zero at every point chosen( infinite in number of points)...pay attention that " magnitude and direction of M is dependent to the point chosen"...

Physics news on Phys.org
Static implies no translation or rotation. eg No rotation about any point.

Welcome to physics forums, emohabatzadeh! Your name is hard to type! (no offence intended). You should try to answer the question first, before asking for help on this forum (that's the rules). And if you have tried several things, but not gotten very far, then write them down, so we can see where you need help to be able to get to the answer.

CWatters said:
Static implies no translation or rotation. eg No rotation about any point.
"static implies no translation or rotation"...but it seems that for proving "no rotation about any point" you should calculate the resultant couple moment about any point and specify that the resultant couple equals to zero for any point !( because the couple is dependent to the points position) ----I mean we don't know the object is in static equilibrium or not and we want to determine it... why do we consider that if M is zero about a point, it means that it is zero about any point? is there a theorem about this? is it provable? sorry for grammatical errors if I have and hope that you understand what I mean...

BruceW said:
Welcome to physics forums, emohabatzadeh! Your name is hard to type! (no offence intended). You should try to answer the question first, before asking for help on this forum (that's the rules). And if you have tried several things, but not gotten very far, then write them down, so we can see where you need help to be able to get to the answer.
thanks and you can call me with the nickname Estak...!
in fact I have no answer to the question...it's not a numerical problem...it's a fundamental problem...! perhaps the question should be answered by a theorem...

looking back at your first post, I don't really get what the part 1) is trying to say... You said that the part 2) is the actual question. If I was reading just the stuff in part 2), I would guess that M means moment, not couple. What is the exact question? Maybe I will be able to help better if I see that.

Related to Static Equilibrium and magnitude

1) What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is at rest and all forces acting on it are balanced, resulting in no net force and no net torque.

2) How is static equilibrium different from dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium occurs when an object is at rest, while dynamic equilibrium occurs when an object is in motion at a constant velocity.

3) What is the principle of moments?

The principle of moments, also known as the law of moments, states that for an object to be in static equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments.

4) How do you calculate the magnitude of a force in static equilibrium?

To calculate the magnitude of a force in static equilibrium, you can use the formula F = ∑Fx + ∑Fy, where ∑Fx and ∑Fy are the sum of the forces in the x and y directions, respectively.

5) Can an object be in static equilibrium if it is accelerating?

No, an object cannot be in static equilibrium if it is accelerating. In order for an object to be in static equilibrium, it must be at rest or moving at a constant velocity.