Static equilibrium: mass on beam

In summary, the linear second law for static equilibrium states that the sum of the forces in the y direction is zero. However, when solving for the force in the y direction using Newton's linear second law, you must also take into account the weight of the bar.
jkfjbw
Homework Statement
A horizontal bar of length ##L## and mass ##m_B## is on two fulcrums, one ##L/3## from the left side of the bar, and the other ##L/3## from the right side of the bar. There is also a mass of mass ##m_D## on the left end of the bar. Find the forces that the fulcrums exert on the bar.
Relevant Equations
$$\sum_i \vec{F}_i = \vec{0}$$
$$\sum_i \tau_{z,i} = 0$$
A diagram of the physical situation is below:
IMG_1312.jpg

Choosing the positive ##y## direction to be upwards and the positive direction of rotation to be counterclockwise, Newton's linear second law gives:
$$-m_D g + F_L + F_R = 0$$
where ##F_L## is the magnitude of the force exerted on the bar by the left fulcrum, and ##F_R## is the magnitude of the force exerted on the bar by the right fulcrum. Taking the point of rotation to be around the left fulcrum, Newton's rotational second law gives:
$$(m_D g)\Big(\frac{L}{3}\Big) + F_R\Big(\frac{L}{3}\Big) - (m_B g)\Big(\frac{L}{6}\Big) = 0\\
m_D g + F_R - \frac{1}{2} m_B g = 0\\
F_R = g\Big(\frac{1}{2}m_B - m_D\Big)$$
which is the correct answer for ##F_R##. The problem comes when I try to find ##F_L## by using Newton's linear second law to eliminate ##F_R## and solve for ##F_L##. Doing so gives:
$$m_D g + m_D g - F_L - \frac{1}{2}m_B g = 0\\
F_L = 2m_D g - \frac{1}{2}m_B g\\
F_L = g\Big(2m_B - \frac{1}{2}m_B\Big)$$
which is the wrong answer for ##F_L##.

Likewise, I can also take the point of rotation to be around the right fulcrum:
$$(m_D g)\Big(\frac{2}{3}L\Big) - F_L\Big(\frac{L}{3}\Big) + (m_B g)\Big(\frac{L}{6}\Big) = 0\\
2m_D g - F_L + \frac{1}{2}m_B g = 0\\
F_L = g\Big(2m_D + \frac{1}{2}m_B\Big)$$
which is the correct answer for ##F_L##. However, if I use Newton's linear second law to eliminate ##F_L## and solve for ##F_R##, I get the wrong answer:
$$2m_D g - m_D g + F_R + \frac{1}{2}m_B g = 0\\
m_D g + F_R + \frac{1}{2}m_B g = 0\\
F_R = -g\Big(m_D + \frac{1}{2}m_B\Big)$$

Why do I get the wrong answer for ##F_L## and ##F_R## when I substitute Newton's linear second law into the known-correct answer for ##F_R## and ##F_L##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your static equilibrium equation for summed forces in the y direction is wrong. You are leaving out some forces. Watch your subscripts also for mb vs. md. And check your algebra.

Likes Lnewqban
Ah yes, I forgot the weight of the bar in Newton's linear second law. Thank you.

Related to Static equilibrium: mass on beam

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced and the object is at rest. In other words, the net force and net torque on the object are both equal to zero.

2. How is static equilibrium achieved?

Static equilibrium is achieved when the object's center of mass is directly above its support base, and the sum of all external forces and torques acting on the object is equal to zero. This can be achieved through proper distribution of weight and the use of supports or anchors.

3. What is the role of mass in static equilibrium?

Mass plays a crucial role in static equilibrium as it determines the amount of force needed to achieve balance. A heavier mass will require a greater force to achieve equilibrium, while a lighter mass will require a smaller force.

4. How does the position of the mass affect static equilibrium?

The position of the mass on the beam is important in achieving static equilibrium. If the mass is not positioned directly above the support base, it will create an uneven distribution of weight and cause the beam to tilt or rotate. This can be corrected by adjusting the position of the mass or using additional supports.

5. What are some real-life applications of static equilibrium with a mass on a beam?

Static equilibrium with a mass on a beam is commonly seen in construction and engineering, where beams and structures must be carefully designed to distribute weight and maintain balance. It is also used in everyday objects such as seesaws, balance scales, and bridges.