Static Equilibrium of climbing harness

In summary, a climber with a weight of 734.2 N is held by a belay rope connected to her climbing harness and belay device. The force of the rope on her has a line of action through her center of mass, with indicated angles of θ = 36.5° and ϕ = 29.0°. To determine the coefficient of static friction between her climbing shoes and the wall, the formula cosine(theta)/sin(theta) was attempted but did not work. Instead, a vector triangle for all the forces was suggested.
patelkey

Homework Statement

a climber with a weight of 734.2 N is held by a belay rope connected to her climbing harness and belay device; the force of the rope on her has a line of action through her center of mass. The indicated angles are θ = 36.5° and ϕ = 29.0°. If her feet are on the verge of sliding on the vertical wall, what is the coefficient of static friction between her climbing shoes and the wall?

Homework Equations

I tried using cosine(theta)/sin(theta) but this did not work.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi patelkey! :smile:

(have a theta: θ :wink:)
patelkey said:

hmm … you can't just use formulas for no reason, and hope that they work, and that the computer will accept them. :redface:

Draw a vector triangle for all the forces …

what do you get? :smile:

Related to Static Equilibrium of climbing harness

1. What is static equilibrium in a climbing harness?

Static equilibrium in a climbing harness refers to the state where all the forces acting on the harness, including the weight of the climber, are balanced. This means that the harness is not moving or rotating in any direction.

2. How does a climbing harness achieve static equilibrium?

A climbing harness achieves static equilibrium through the proper distribution of forces. This is achieved by having multiple points of attachment, such as the waist and leg loops, to evenly distribute the weight of the climber.

3. What factors affect the static equilibrium of a climbing harness?

The weight of the climber, the distribution of the weight on the harness, and the strength and positioning of the anchor points all affect the static equilibrium of a climbing harness. Additionally, the design and construction of the harness can also play a role.

4. How can I ensure that my climbing harness is in static equilibrium?

To ensure that your climbing harness is in static equilibrium, make sure that it is properly fitted to your body and that all the attachment points are secure and evenly weighted. It is also important to regularly inspect your harness for any signs of wear or damage.

5. Why is static equilibrium important in a climbing harness?

Static equilibrium is important because it ensures that the climber's weight is evenly distributed and that the harness is not under excessive stress. This helps to prevent discomfort, fatigue, and potential failure of the harness, ensuring the safety of the climber.