Static friction and car and unbanked curve

In summary, a car can safely negotiate an unbanked curve with a 50.0-m radius when the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road is 0.8. However, if the car is to go around the curve at the same speed, v, without relying on friction, it would require a bank of 19.79m.
xstetsonx
A car, traveling at speed v, can safely negotiate an unbanked curve with a 50.0-m radius when the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road is 0.8. How much bank would a curve with the same radius require if the car is to safely go around it at the same speed, v, without relying on friction?

my work:
Msmg=Fr=m((v^2)/r)
(0.8)(9.8m/s^2)=(v^2)/(50m)=19.79m/s

Mgsinx=Fr=m((v^2)/r)
(9.8)sinx=(19.79m/s)/(50m)=53.13 degreeplease tell me if i am wrong or right

Physics news on Phys.org
xstetsonx said:
A car, traveling at speed v, can safely negotiate an unbanked curve with a 50.0-m radius when the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road is 0.8. How much bank would a curve with the same radius require if the car is to safely go around it at the same speed, v, without relying on friction?

my work:
Msmg=Fr=m((v^2)/r)
(0.8)(9.8m/s^2)=(v^2)/(50m)=19.79m/s
Right.
Mgsinx=Fr=m((v^2)/r)
(9.8)sinx=(19.79m/s)/(50m)=53.13 degree

please tell me if i am wrong or right
Wrong.

The centripetal acceleration is directed radially (horizontally) inward toward the center of the curve.

so will be
mgsinxcosx=m((v^2)/r)?

xstetsonx said:
so will be
mgsinxcosx=m((v^2)/r)?
That's getting close, but still incorrect. Please show or indicate how you are arrivig at this equation.

PhanthomJay said:
That's getting close, but still incorrect. Please show or indicate how you are arrivig at this equation.

well the only Fr is the gsinx but since you said Fr is directly horizontal to the center so i did cos
but i might be wrong now i am kinda confuse too

the radial acceleration is not gsin theta. Draw a free body diagram of the car. There are 2 forces acting on the car. One is its weight, acting vertically down. What's the other??

normal force?

xstetsonx said:
normal force?
Yes. So of those 2 forces, which one has a component in the x (radial, horizontal) direction? What is that component?

nsinx so it is the same as mgtanx?

xstetsonx said:
nsinx so it is the same as mgtanx?
Yes, I'm not sure how you got that, but that is correct.

well i think n=mg/cosx so plug it back into the equation (mg/cosx)(sinx)=mgtanx right?

Last edited:
xstetsonx said:
well i think n=mg/cosx
Yes, from Newton 1 in the y direction [/quote]so plug it back into the equation (mg/cosx)(sinx)=mgtanx right?[/QUOTE]yes, solve for theta (or the angle you are calling 'x') = ?

thanks so much otherwise i might get that wrong on the test lol...

FAQ: Static friction and car and unbanked curve

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is a force that prevents two surfaces from sliding against each other when they are not in motion. It is a type of friction that occurs when there is no relative motion between the two surfaces.

2. How does static friction affect a car on an unbanked curve?

In an unbanked curve, the car experiences a centripetal force that pulls it inwards towards the center of the curve. To prevent the car from sliding outwards, the static friction between the tires and the road surface must increase to provide the necessary centripetal force.

3. What factors affect the amount of static friction in a car and unbanked curve scenario?

The amount of static friction depends on the coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road surface, the weight of the car, and the speed at which the car is traveling. A higher coefficient of static friction, a lower weight, and a lower speed will result in a higher amount of static friction.

4. How does the angle of the curve impact the amount of static friction needed for a car to safely navigate it?

The angle of the curve, or the sharpness of the turn, plays a crucial role in determining the amount of static friction needed for a car to safely navigate it. A sharper turn will require a higher amount of static friction to prevent the car from sliding outwards.

5. Can the amount of static friction be increased in a car and unbanked curve scenario?

Yes, the amount of static friction can be increased by increasing the weight of the car or by using tires with a higher coefficient of static friction. However, it is important to note that there is a maximum limit to the amount of static friction that can be achieved, and going beyond this limit can result in the car sliding outwards.