Static friction(Impending motion)

In summary, the problem involves a 100 kg block resting on a wedge with a coefficient of static friction of 0.25. The goal is to find the angle θ and the corresponding normal force exerted on the block by the vertical wall. The solution provided by the professor assumes that all contact surfaces are in the condition of impending motion, as if one body moves, the other must also move due to geometry.
aerograce

Homework Statement

A 100 kg block rests as shown in Figure on a wedge of negligible weight. Knowing that
the coefficient of static friction is 0.25 at all surfaces of contact, determine: (g = 9.81 m/s2)
a) the angle θ (degree) for which sliding is impending and
b) compute the corresponding value of the normal force (N) exerted on the block by the vertical wall.

Homework Equations

F=μN; ψ=arctanμ

The Attempt at a Solution

This solution is given by my professor, as attached below.

My doubt is:
Why we can make an assumption that all the contact surfaces are in the condition of impending? It can happen that only the wedge is in the impending motion while others may haven't reached their maximum static friction yet. Thank you so much for your help and message me if you cannot get what I mean, I will try to elaborate more. Thank you!

Attachments

• problem.png
    problem.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 682
  • solu.png
    solu.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,361
Physics news on Phys.org
Why we can make an assumption that all the contact surfaces are in the condition of impending? It can happen that only the wedge is in the impending motion while others may haven't reached their maximum static friction yet. Thank you so much for your help and message me if you cannot get what I mean, I will try to elaborate more. Thank you!

It should be clear by geometry that if one body moves then the other has to move as well. Just imagine what will happen if the wedge moves slight but the upper body stays put. clearly the normal force from the wall/wedge will disappear and the upper body will tend to fall due to gravity. so when the wedge is just about to move, the upper body is just about to fall (but not free-fall). so both the bodies will have the tendency to move simultaneously.

I hope that helps. :smile:

Related to Static friction(Impending motion)

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when an object is at rest, while kinetic friction occurs when an object is in motion. The magnitude of static friction is generally greater than kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of static friction?

The magnitude of static friction depends on the types of surfaces in contact, the normal force between the surfaces, and the roughness of the surfaces. It also depends on the angle at which the force is applied.

4. How is the coefficient of static friction determined?

The coefficient of static friction is determined experimentally by measuring the maximum force needed to overcome static friction between two surfaces. It can vary depending on the materials in contact and the surface conditions.

5. Can static friction ever be greater than the applied force?

Yes, static friction can be greater than the applied force when the applied force is not enough to overcome the maximum amount of static friction between two surfaces. In this case, the object will not move.