Static/kinetical friction coefficient

In summary, the conversation discusses the static and kinetical friction coefficient between rubber and steel, specifically for a conveyor belt application. The speaker has searched the internet for information but without success, and is asking for help in determining an average value for the friction. Another person suggests using a website to calculate the friction coefficient, but also notes that it can vary greatly depending on the materials and possible contaminants. The original speaker then reveals the materials in question and explains the reason for needing the friction coefficient.
alphaomega@ho
hello,

I 'd like to know the static/kinetical friction coefficient between rubber- steel (the most commonly used), I searched the internet but whithout succes
the application is: a conveyor belt that makes contact with a troughing roller)
anyone can help me ?

thank you !

Engineering news on Phys.org
This will be highly dependent on the particulars of the two materials. Different types can have vastly different friction coefficients.

and how can I determine those numbers, I just want an average value for the friction

thank you

You can use this one:
http://www.diracdelta.co.uk/science/source/f/r/friction/source.html

Generally, if you need to use data like this, you need to be very conservative in your approach because it can vary widely due to the actual materials being used, and even due to contaminants such as water or oil that may get between the parts. If the design is such that you don't want the parts to slide, a conservatively low value for the coefficient is used. If you need it to slide, a high value is used. Take into consideration that your particular interface might be subject to contamination.

hey, I did find out the two materials:

steel (in general) and polyester (PE)
I have to know the friction because I want to know the power losses when I want to drive this PE belt across a serie of troughing idler( those supporte the belt when there weight on it)

thank for the help!

Related to Static/kinetical friction coefficient

What is the definition of static/kinetic friction coefficient?

The static/kinetic friction coefficient is a measure of the amount of force required to overcome the resistance of two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless value that represents the ratio between the force needed to move the object and the force pressing the surfaces together.

How is the static/kinetic friction coefficient calculated?

The static/kinetic friction coefficient can be calculated by dividing the maximum frictional force between two surfaces by the normal force (the force pressing the surfaces together). It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the force needed to move an object and then dividing it by the normal force.

What factors affect the value of the static/kinetic friction coefficient?

The value of the static/kinetic friction coefficient can be affected by several factors, including the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the amount of force pressing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances between the surfaces.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction coefficients?

The static friction coefficient represents the resistance between two surfaces that are not yet in motion, while the kinetic friction coefficient represents the resistance between two surfaces that are already in motion. The static friction coefficient is typically higher than the kinetic friction coefficient, as it takes more force to overcome the initial resistance and start the motion of an object.

Why is understanding the static/kinetic friction coefficient important in science?

The static/kinetic friction coefficient is important in science because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in contact with each other. It is essential in engineering and design, as well as in fields such as physics and materials science. Knowing the friction coefficient can also help us make decisions about the best materials and methods to use in various applications.