Statically Indeterminate Bar with alternating area and length

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a three-sectioned structure and attempts to solve it using force balance equations. The solution involves cutting a section and determining the force in the middle bar as a function of known and unknown variables. The final answers are RA=10.5kN to the left and RD=2kN to the right.
hboyd3
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5981/probie.png

So first I did a force balance (dFx=0)

P=PB-PC=8.5kN

RD= RA - P
RA = RD + P

I know the total change in length is equal to 0, so

dAB + dBC + dCD = 0

==>

(RA*L1)/(E*A1) + (P*L2)/(E*A2) + ((RA-P)*L1)/(E*A1) = 0

but when I do the algebra I can never get it to work. my numbers never match the answer no matter which way I approach it. I can do problems with only 2 different sections but this 3 sectioned one has me baffled.

the answers are
RA= 10.5kN to the left
RD= 2kN to the right

anyone have any insight?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are assuming that the force in the middle segment is P. It is not. Cut a section (Free Body Diagram) thru the middle bar and determine the force in that bar as a function of the known and unknown variables.

I can offer some insight into your problem. First, it's important to understand the concept of a statically indeterminate bar. This means that the bar cannot be fully analyzed using only the equations of static equilibrium. In this case, the bar has three different sections with different areas and lengths, making it difficult to solve using traditional methods.

One approach to solving this problem is to use the method of virtual work. This method involves considering the bar as a whole and determining the total virtual work done on it. This virtual work should be equal to zero, as the bar is in equilibrium. From there, you can set up equations for the virtual work done by each section of the bar and solve for the unknown reactions.

Another approach is to use compatibility equations, which relate the changes in length of each section to the overall change in length of the bar. These equations can be used in conjunction with the equations of static equilibrium to solve for the reactions.

Regardless of the method you choose, it's important to carefully consider all the forces acting on each section of the bar and how they contribute to the overall equilibrium of the system. It may also be helpful to draw a free body diagram for each section to better visualize the forces at play.

In addition, it's important to double check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent. Small errors in calculation or unit conversions can lead to significant discrepancies in the final answer.

Overall, solving problems involving statically indeterminate bars can be challenging, but with careful consideration and application of principles, it is possible to arrive at the correct solution.

Related to Statically Indeterminate Bar with alternating area and length

What is a statically indeterminate bar with alternating area and length?

A statically indeterminate bar with alternating area and length is a type of structural element that has varying cross-sectional area and length along its length. This makes it difficult to determine the internal forces and stresses within the bar using traditional equations and methods.

What are the applications of a statically indeterminate bar with alternating area and length?

This type of bar is commonly used in engineering and construction projects where the load and stress distribution is not uniform, such as in bridges, trusses, and buildings. It can also be used in specialized structures, such as aerospace and marine applications.

How is the stress distribution calculated for a statically indeterminate bar with alternating area and length?

The stress distribution for a statically indeterminate bar with alternating area and length is typically calculated using advanced mathematical techniques, such as the method of virtual work or the finite element method. These methods take into account the varying cross-sectional area and length of the bar to determine the internal forces and stresses.

What are the advantages of using a statically indeterminate bar with alternating area and length?

Using this type of bar can provide a more efficient and cost-effective design for structures that have varying loads and stress distributions. It also allows for more precise control over the internal forces and stresses, leading to a more stable and durable structure.

What are the limitations of a statically indeterminate bar with alternating area and length?

One limitation is that the design and analysis of such a bar can be complex and time-consuming, requiring advanced mathematical skills and specialized software. Additionally, the varying cross-sectional area and length can make fabrication and construction more challenging, increasing the overall cost of the project.

Back