Statically indeterminate (deflection)

In summary, when solving for reactions in indeterminate problems, it is best to use the most general deflection formula for a particular beam and loading arrangement. The max. deflection formulas are all special cases of the general deflection equation and can be substituted if necessary.
feedingjax
For these types of question, I know deflection equation is needed to find the reaction.
However, my question is that when should i use the max. deflection equation and when should i use only simple deflection equation for my calculation ?

Thank you very much!
23hrd5v.png

w18t5e.jpg

beam-deflection-formulae-1-728.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
feedingjax said:
For these types of question, I know deflection equation is needed to find the reaction.
However, my question is that when should i use the max. deflection equation and when should i use only simple deflection equation for my calculation ?

Thank you very much!
23hrd5v.png

w18t5e.jpg

beam-deflection-formulae-1-728.jpg

I think you are trying to be too choosy with your equations here.

Don't worry about which particular cases to use the max. deflection formula to solve an indeterminate problem. Pick the most general deflection formula for a particular beam and loading arrangement. If the location of the redundant support in question requires the use of a max. deflection formula, as in the case of the propped cantilever, then substituting the length of the cantilever into the general deflection equation should give the same equation as that for the max. deflection.

The max. deflection formulas in the table above are all special cases of the general deflection equation for the type of loading indicated for the cantilever. You should be able to verify this by evaluating the cantilever formulas above for x = L.

FAQ: Statically indeterminate (deflection)

What is meant by "statically indeterminate"?

Statically indeterminate refers to a structural system where the number of unknown reactions or forces is greater than the number of available equations to solve for them. This means that the structure cannot be analyzed using basic statics equations and requires more advanced methods.

What is the difference between "statically indeterminate" and "statically determinate"?

Statically determinate structures have a fixed number of reactions and can be solved using basic statics equations. On the other hand, statically indeterminate structures have more unknowns than equations and require additional methods such as the principle of superposition and compatibility equations to solve for all the reactions.

How do you determine the degree of indeterminacy of a structure?

The degree of indeterminacy is determined by counting the number of unknown reactions or forces and subtracting the number of available equilibrium equations. The resulting number is the degree of indeterminacy of the structure.

What are the effects of a statically indeterminate structure?

Statically indeterminate structures experience excess internal forces and deformations due to the presence of redundant members. This can lead to increased stress and deflections, which must be carefully considered in the design process.

How are statically indeterminate structures analyzed and designed?

Statically indeterminate structures are analyzed using advanced methods such as the principle of superposition and compatibility equations. Designing these structures also requires considering the effects of excess internal forces and deformations, and using techniques such as stiffness and flexibility methods.