Statics : Direction of Moments

In summary, the concept of moments involves the rotation of objects. In the given scenario, a clockwise moment is described by a vector pointing in the negative z direction according to the right hand rule. The direction of the moment depends on the chosen coordinate system.
Gian Lukmana
I still don't really get the concept of moments..

if moment is what makes things rotate, imagine this :

....... F (pushing down the stick)
===================(stick)
A

so :
1. the stick will rotate in a clockwise direction,
2. but the direction of the moment is negative Z.. (right hand rule)
I just don't get the correlation between the two !
my mind : The stick will rotate in a clockwise direction, and has nothing to do with the Z axis..

Anyone.. ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gian Lukmana said:
The stick will rotate in a clockwise direction, and has nothing to do with the Z axis..
Which way does the angular velocity vector point, when it rotates in a clockwise direction?

Gian Lukmana said:
I still don't really get the concept of moments..

if moment is what makes things rotate, imagine this :

....... F (pushing down the stick)
===================(stick)
A

so :
1. the stick will rotate in a clockwise direction,
2. but the direction of the moment is negative Z.. (right hand rule)
I just don't get the correlation between the two !
my mind : The stick will rotate in a clockwise direction, and has nothing to do with the Z axis..

Anyone.. ?
It depends on how you choose your coordinate system. If you choose the x-axis along the stick, and the y-axis vertically up on the page, then the z axis is out of the page for a right handed coordinate system. Once you fix your axes like that, a clockwise moment is described by a vector which points in the negative z direction.

Related to Statics : Direction of Moments

1. What is the direction of a moment?

The direction of a moment is the direction in which a force causes rotation around a fixed point or axis. It is perpendicular to the plane formed by the force vector and the position vector of the point of rotation.

2. How is the direction of a moment determined?

The direction of a moment can be determined by using the right-hand rule. Place your right hand with your fingers pointing in the direction of the force and your thumb pointing in the direction of the position vector. The direction your palm is facing is the direction of the moment.

3. Can the direction of a moment be negative?

Yes, the direction of a moment can be negative. This indicates that the moment is rotating in the opposite direction as compared to the positive direction. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the moment to accurately analyze the system.

4. How does the direction of a moment affect the stability of a system?

The direction of a moment is crucial in determining the stability of a system. A moment in the same direction as the external force will cause the system to rotate and potentially become unstable. On the other hand, a moment in the opposite direction as the external force can help stabilize the system.

5. Can the direction of a moment change?

Yes, the direction of a moment can change depending on the position and orientation of the force and the point of rotation. It is important to consider all forces and their respective moments in a system to accurately determine the direction and magnitude of the resulting moment.