Statics: force to open a door on 2 rollers given friction

In summary, a 200-LB door hanging from two rollers 5 feet apart with coefficients of friction of .15 and .25 respectively requires a force of 45.5 to move it to the left. The sum of forces in the x direction is -P + .15NA + .25NB = 0, and the sum of forces about B is -6P + 2.5(200) - 5NA = 0. The downward force at A is not equal to the downward force at B, as the force creates a moment about B.
SoylentBlue

Homework Statement

We have a 200-LB door hanging from 2 rollers, A & B, which are 5 feet apart. Coeffs of friction for A and B are .15 and .25, respectively. A force P is applied to the door. How big must it be to move the door to the left?[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have included a FBD. The downward force is the 200LBs, so the normal force would be 200, or 100 at each roller. That's reasonable, since the whole thing is symmetrical. The forces in x direction are P (to the left) and the total of muAN and muBN to the right.
So here we go:
Sum of forces in x: -P + (.15)(100) + (.25)(100) = 0
This yields a value of 40 for P. The book's answer is 45.5

Hmmm...been struggling with this for a week. Not sure where I made a wrong turn. Any help appreciated. Thank you.:biggrin:

[/B]

Attachments

• Prob816FBD.jpg
    Prob816FBD.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 477
  • Prob816.jpg
    Prob816.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 554
Physics news on Phys.org
SoylentBlue said:
The downward force is the 200LBs, so the normal force would be 200, or 100 at each roller. That's reasonable, since the whole thing is symmetrical

The pull force creates a moment about B so the downward force at A will be greater than 100.
You'll have to assume C is directly below B.

Thank you thank you thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Your answer was perfect--just a hint, without giving the answer away.
As soon as I saw your reply, I actually said out loud "D'Oh!" I am embarrassed that I did not see something so obvious.:H Ok, in my defense, I am still a student and still learning.

Anyway, for anyone else struggling with this, here is how it is solved. Note that we are looking at problem 8.16, in which the force pushes to the left, not to the right.Sum of forces about B: -6P + 2.5(200) – 5NA=0

Sum of forces in x: -P + .15NA + .25NB=0

Sum of forces in y: -200 + NA + NBEasy mistake to make: assuming NA and NB are equal. They are not!

OK, 3 equations with 3 unknowns, which is solvable. I won’t bore you with grunt-work.

NA=45.5

NB=154.5

Then P is 45.5, which agrees with the book’s answer.

Thank you again:smile:

SoylentBlue said:
Thank you again:smile:
You're welcome.

Related to Statics: force to open a door on 2 rollers given friction

1. What is statics?

Statics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It involves analyzing the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion.

2. How do you calculate the force required to open a door on 2 rollers given friction?

The force required to open a door on 2 rollers can be calculated using the equation F = μ * N, where F is the force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The coefficient of friction is a measure of how difficult it is to slide an object over another and the normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by the surface on the object.

3. What factors affect the force required to open a door on 2 rollers?

The force required to open a door on 2 rollers is affected by the coefficient of friction, the normal force, and the weight of the door. The type of material used for the rollers and the surface over which they are rolling can also affect the force required.

4. How does the angle of the door affect the force required to open it on 2 rollers?

The angle of the door affects the force required because it determines the direction and magnitude of the normal force acting on the door. If the door is opened at an angle, the normal force will be greater, requiring more force to overcome it and open the door.

5. How can the force required to open a door on 2 rollers be reduced?

The force required to open a door on 2 rollers can be reduced by using materials with a low coefficient of friction for the rollers, ensuring that the rollers are well-maintained and lubricated, and by reducing the weight of the door. Additionally, adjusting the angle of the door to minimize the normal force can also reduce the force required to open it.