Statics, moment on submerged surface problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a slew gate controlling the flow of salt water into fresh water in a submarine depressurising chamber. The force calculation for the gate is (1030)x(9.81)X((2.93X2.2)-(πd2/4))X (2.93/2) = 94.7KN. However, the location of the center of pressure is unclear and it is revealed that the center of pressure is not located at the centroid of the plate.
jasonnaylor

Homework Statement

[/B]
Shown below is a slew gate controlling the flow of salt water flowing into fresh water in a submarine depressurising chamber (used to measure the pressure depth and which is compared to a control signal that has been calibrated).

slew%2Bgate.png

On the inlet side, the depth of salt water is 2.93m and on the outlet side the freshwater is to a depth of 2m. Assuming the width of the plate is 2.2m, calculate the fluid moment at the centre of pressure location on the inlet face.
If the plate is 10mm thick and the hole is drilled 5mm to the right of the centre line, what will be the overall effect of the difference in pressure between inlet and outlet on the plate material. Assume the plate to have an E-value of 140GN/m2

Homework Equations

Total force= ρgAy

I have worked this out to be (1030)x(9.81)X((2.93X2.2)-(πd2/4))X (2.93/2) = 94.7KN

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have worked the total force to be (1030)x(9.81)X((2.93X2.2)-(πd2/4))X (2.93/2) = 94.7KN
Have no clue where to go next. Where would the centre of pressure be, it can't surely be the centroid as there's a pressure void where the hole lies.

Physics news on Phys.org
jasonnaylor said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Shown below is a slew gate controlling the flow of salt water flowing into fresh water in a submarine depressurising chamber (used to measure the pressure depth and which is compared to a control signal that has been calibrated).

slew%2Bgate.png

On the inlet side, the depth of salt water is 2.93m and on the outlet side the freshwater is to a depth of 2m. Assuming the width of the plate is 2.2m, calculate the fluid moment at the centre of pressure location on the inlet face.
If the plate is 10mm thick and the hole is drilled 5mm to the right of the centre line, what will be the overall effect of the difference in pressure between inlet and outlet on the plate material. Assume the plate to have an E-value of 140GN/m2

Homework Equations

Total force= ρgAy

I have worked this out to be (1030)x(9.81)X((2.93X2.2)-(πd2/4))X (2.93/2) = 94.7KN

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have worked the total force to be (1030)x(9.81)X((2.93X2.2)-(πd2/4))X (2.93/2) = 94.7KN
Have no clue where to go next. Where would the centre of pressure be, it can't surely be the centroid as there's a pressure void where the hole lies.

I think I understand this part of your force calculation: (1030)x(9.81)X((2.93X2.2)
What is not clear to me is this part: (πd2 / 4)) * (2.93 / 2). Why have you divided the depth of the saltwater by 2?

Isn't the surface of the water over the top of the pipe connecting the outlet plate and the inlet plate?

After all, the pipe has a diameter of 0.23 m and its centerline is located 0.75m above the bottom edge of the plates.

And to give you a hint about the center of pressure, no the center of pressure is not located at the centroid of the plate (minus the hole). You have to account for the variation of water pressure with depth on the plate in order to calculate the c.o.p.

Related to Statics, moment on submerged surface problem

What is statics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in equilibrium. It involves concepts such as force, mass, and acceleration to analyze the behavior of systems that are not in motion.

What is a moment on a submerged surface?

A moment on a submerged surface, also known as a hydrostatic moment, is the force applied on a submerged surface due to the pressure of a fluid acting on it. This force is perpendicular to the surface and creates a moment or torque that can cause the object to rotate.

How do you calculate the moment on a submerged surface?

The moment on a submerged surface can be calculated by multiplying the force of the fluid on the surface by the distance from the point of rotation. This distance is known as the moment arm and is perpendicular to the line of action of the force.

What is the difference between a static and dynamic moment on a submerged surface?

A static moment on a submerged surface occurs when the object is at rest or in a state of equilibrium, while a dynamic moment occurs when the object is in motion. In a dynamic moment, the force and moment arm can change as the object moves.

How can the moment on a submerged surface problem be solved?

The moment on a submerged surface problem can be solved by using the principles of statics, such as the equilibrium of forces and moments, and the application of fluid mechanics equations. It is important to accurately calculate the forces and moments acting on the object and consider any external factors that may affect the problem.