Statics Problem - Moment on a Bridge

In summary, the problem involves a uniform work platform with a mass per unit length of 28kg/m and a construction worker with a mass of 90kg. The platform is simply supported by cross rods A and B, and the worker starts from point B and walks to the right. The question is asking for the location S where the combined moment of the weights of the man and platform about point B will be zero. The solution involves setting point B as the origin and considering all distances to the left of B as negative and all distances to the right of B as positive. Using the equation M=d*F, the sum of moments on the left and right sides must be equal in order for the combined moment around B to be zero.
TimChoi89

Homework Statement

The uniform work platform, which has a mass per unit length of 28kg/m, is simply supported by cross rods A and B the 90-kg construction worker starts from point B and walks to the right. At what location S will the combined moment of the weights of the man and platform about point B be zero?

Platform illustration:

__A____________B___man (going to the right)___

Mass per unit length of bridge: 28kg/m
Mass of man: 90kg

Distance from far left end of bridge to A: 1m
Distance between A and B: 4m
Distance from B to far right end of bridge: 3m
Distance from B to man: S

Homework Equations

M=d*F or M=r*F (cross product)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was that I set point B to be (0,0) so any distances to the left of B is (-) and to the right will be (+). Also, I set all the weights to be (-) since it's going down the (-) y-axis.

Next I assigned the F from B to Man to be (90+28S) and the F from B to the remaining distance from Man to far right end of the bridge to be 28(3-S).

For the forces on the left side:

left end to A: 28
between A and B: 112

Next, I used M=d*F and set the moment of B from the left and right side to equal each other which leaves me with:

588=-90S-28S^2+(3-S)(-8.4+28S)
840=78S-56S^2
0=78S-56S^2-840
0=9.8(78S-56S^2-840) <-- to calculate weight
0=548.8S^2-764.4S+8232

When I try to solve for S, I use the quadratic formula but I can't solve for S because the number in the sqrt is (-) thus I can't solve for S. Am doing something wrong with the signs or is my approach completely wrong? Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
TimChoi89 said:
At what location S will the combined moment of the weights of the man and platform about point B be zero?
Do you know the solution? Maybe you should look at the platform as a seesaw without reaction in A. In that situation you would only have reaction in B plus the weight of the platform and the man. It would be easy to calculate the moment around B.

method_man said:
Do you know the solution? Maybe you should look at the platform as a seesaw without reaction in A. In that situation you would only have reaction in B plus the weight of the platform and the man. It would be easy to calculate the moment around B.

I don't have the solution sorry. What do you mean by reaction in B? If I disregard A does that mean that I'll just have a combined distance of 5 from the left side to point B and just calculate the total weight from that side? Thanks again.

I've attached a picture to explain what I mean. On my picture, force A i faced downward. That is a situation when this guy walks far enough to the right (over distance S as I have assumed). If this guy stands close enough to the point B, force A is facing upward. So I guessed that there has to be a situation when force A becomes zero before shifting it's orientation. My assumption is that that will happen when distance is S. I hope that somebody will answer with better idea.

Attachments

• STATICS.JPG
    STATICS.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 609
Oh ok, at this point I thought that I can just ignore the forces on A b/c the question was asking about B. I'm still a little confused...sorry. It's a little hard to explain this via text only...lol

FAQ: Statics Problem - Moment on a Bridge

1. What is a moment on a bridge?

A moment on a bridge is a measure of the tendency of a force to cause rotation around a specific point or axis. It is also known as torque.

2. How is the moment on a bridge calculated?

The moment on a bridge is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. This distance is known as the moment arm.

3. Why is the moment on a bridge important?

The moment on a bridge is important because it helps engineers and designers determine the structural integrity and stability of the bridge. It also helps in understanding the potential for rotation or collapse under different loading conditions.

4. What factors influence the moment on a bridge?

The moment on a bridge is influenced by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force, and the type and shape of the bridge structure.

5. How can the moment on a bridge be minimized?

The moment on a bridge can be minimized by distributing the load evenly across the bridge and using efficient and stable structural design. Additionally, using proper construction materials and techniques can help reduce the impact of external forces on the bridge.

Back