Statics question - Method of joints

In summary: I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you were saying. Can you please clarify?The problem is attached. I have to solve for the force in the member BC. The thing I need help with is solving for the two attachments. I already broke it down into the forces and directions, but what do I do with the lower attachment? How do I find the x displacement of point G from E if I'm trying to find the moment at point E about G. I understand the ratio is supposed to help me, but how? This problem would be much simpler if truss FG wasn't there, and the support was at point F.In summary, the problem is attaching the two supports. The force in the
Patdon10
The problem is attached. I have to solve for the force in the member BC. The thing I need help with is solving for the two attachments. I already broke it down into the forces and directions, but what do I do with the lower attachment? How do I find the x displacement of point G from E if I'm trying to find the moment at point E about G. I understand the ratio is supposed to help me, but how? This problem would be much simpler if truss FG wasn't there, and the support was at point F.

Attachments

• statics.jpg
    statics.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org
Patdon10: You know the force in member FG is axial, because it is a truss member. You have three equations, and three unknowns (Ex, Ey, and G). Write an expression for Gx in terms of G. Write an expression for Gy in terms of G. Then write equilibrium equations, and solve for the three unknowns.

It is interesting to note that if your only objective is to find the force in member BC, then using method of sections, using a vertical section cut through points D and C, you could find the force in member BC, without knowing the reaction forces at points E and G.

Alternately, without doing any of the above, you could apply method of joints at point A, then apply method of joints at point B, and solve for the force in member BC, without knowing the reaction forces at points E and G.

nvn said:
Patdon10: You know the force in member FG is axial, because it is a truss member. You have three equations, and three unknowns (Ex, Ey, and G). Write an expression for Gx in terms of G. Write an expression for Gy in terms of G. Then write equilibrium equations, and solve for the three unknowns.

To be honest. I'm not sure I understand what an 'axial force' is. A web search didn't really help me too much either. Are you saying I can find both supports without using a moment?

So in other words, it needs to be...
G_x = G*cos(53.13)
G_y = G*sin(53.13)

Summation_F_x = -E_x + G*cos(53.13) = 0
Summation_F_y = (G*sin(53.13) - 900 - 1200 - E_y) = 0

I have 3 unknowns, and only 2 equations. What am I missing?

An Axial Force is one whose direction coincides with the length of the member in which it occurs.

F_BD = 1000 lbs (C). using the method of joints in the way you described I found it to be 562.5 lbs. Maybe you'd be able to spot my mistake? it's a lot of work, but I can try...

Joint A
-----------
F_x = F_AB*cos(36.87) - F_AC = 0
F_y = -900 + F_AB*sin(36.87) = 0
F_AB = 1500 lb (T)
F_AC = 1200 lb (C)

Joint B (There is lots of solving for angles in here)
----------
F_x = -1500*cos(36.87) + F_BD*cos(36.87) + F_BC*cos(36.87) = 0
F_y = -1200 - F_BC*sin(36.87) + F_BD*sin(36.87) - 1500*sin(36.87)

I had 2 equations and 2 unknowns. Used F_x to solve for F_BD = 1500 - F_BC
Plugged F_BD into the F_y to solve for F_BC. F_BC = -562.5 so it'd be 562.5 (C).

Patdon10 said:
Are you saying I can find both supports without using a moment?
No.

Regarding post 6, you did excellent work. It appears you made some algebra mistake (not shown). Try again, and watch your algebra.

I can't find the mistake. I looked everything over and it looks correct. I'll worry about that later.

Can you give me a nudge in the right direction for solving for those supports? What am I missing?

Write a summation of moment equation.

nvn said:
Write a summation of moment equation.

Sure.

I have:
summation of M_E = 1200(14) + 900(18) - (G_y)(x_displacement) + Gx (y displacement) = 0

I simply don't know how to find those displacements.

No, it should not be displacement. Change those to x and y distance from point E.

yeah. that's what i meant. How would I go about finding those distances though?

Patdon10: Go ahead and assume the length of member FG is 1.

That would make the problem fairly easy, but can you do that? I literally posted all the information I was given in the problem.

In statically determinate frames like this one, the lengths themselves are unimportant. It's the ratios of lengths that determine the force distribution. (That is why it doesn't matter if the units are feet or metres or anything else you want, the forces are the same).

pongo38 said:
In statically determinate frames like this one, the lengths themselves are unimportant. It's the ratios of lengths that determine the force distribution. (That is why it doesn't matter if the units are feet or metres or anything else you want, the forces are the same).

I guess that makes sense. So as long as the ratio corresponds to the length of that member, everything will check out.

Related to Statics question - Method of joints

1. What is the Method of Joints in statics?

The Method of Joints is a technique used to solve equilibrium problems in statics. It involves analyzing the forces acting on each individual joint of a structure in order to determine the unknown forces and reactions at those joints.

2. How do you start solving a problem using the Method of Joints?

The first step is to draw a free body diagram of the entire structure. Then, identify the joints that have the fewest unknown forces acting on them. These will be the joints that you will analyze first using the Method of Joints.

3. What equations are used in the Method of Joints?

The two main equations used in the Method of Joints are the sum of forces in the x-direction and the sum of forces in the y-direction. These equations are based on the principle of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be equal to zero in order for it to be in a state of static equilibrium.

4. Can the Method of Joints be used to solve any type of structure?

The Method of Joints is most commonly used for solving truss structures, which are made up of connected triangles. However, it can also be used to solve other types of structures, such as frames and machines, as long as they are in a state of static equilibrium.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the Method of Joints?

One common mistake is forgetting to include reactions at support points in the free body diagram. Another mistake is not considering the direction of forces correctly, leading to incorrect solutions. It is also important to check for any redundant or indeterminate joints, as they can lead to incorrect results.