Statics Questions - Equilibrium in a pulley system

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of W to maintain equilibrium in a system with an 80 kg mass and two ropes. The speaker has already calculated the angle at the pulley and is now trying to find W. The other person suggests analyzing the forces at the connection point and applying conditions for equilibrium. The speaker confirms this method and mentions the ability to solve for T through equilibrium equations.
Wilson123

Homework Statement

Find the value of W to maintain equilibrium
upload_2015-12-7_22-12-13.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have split the system into two, creating a triangle. From this I have a right angle triangle with an adjacent of 2m, opposite of 0.6m and an hypotenuse of 2.088m (calculated through pythag). I have then worked out the angle at the pulley as 16.7 degrees. However I do not know how to now find W, I think it may have something to do with the equation 40kg x g x cos(90-16.7) + 40kg x g x sin(90-16.7), but this isn't given me the kind of answer I expected so I'm not sure if it's right.
upload_2015-12-7_22-25-10.png

Any help on the next step would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
How about analyzing the forces acting at the point where the ropes connect to the 80 kg mass. Apply the conditions for equilibrium.

Doc Al said:
How about analyzing the forces acting at the point where the ropes connect to the 80 kg mass. Apply the conditions for equilibrium.
Am I right in thinking the forces are acting like this?
upload_2015-12-8_23-55-4.png

Wilson123 said:
Am I right in thinking the forces are acting like this?
Yes, that's exactly right. And if you set up the equilibrium equations, you can solve for T.

Related to Statics Questions - Equilibrium in a pulley system

1. What is a pulley system and how does it work?

A pulley system is a simple machine that uses a wheel and rope to change the direction of a force. It works by having a rope or belt wrapped around a grooved wheel, with one end of the rope attached to an object and the other end attached to a fixed point. As the wheel turns, the object is lifted or lowered depending on the direction of rotation.

2. What is equilibrium in a pulley system?

Equilibrium in a pulley system occurs when the forces acting on the system are balanced, resulting in no net movement. This means that the sum of all the forces in one direction is equal to the sum of all the forces in the opposite direction. In other words, the system is in a state of rest or constant motion.

3. How do you determine the tension in a pulley system?

The tension in a pulley system can be determined by using the principle of equilibrium. This means that the sum of the forces acting on the system in one direction must be equal to the sum of the forces in the opposite direction. By setting up and solving equations using this principle, the tension in each rope or belt can be calculated.

4. What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a fixed point and does not move, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted and moves with it. In a fixed pulley system, the force required to lift the object is equal to its weight. In a movable pulley system, the force required to lift the object is half of its weight.

5. How can the mechanical advantage of a pulley system be calculated?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is the ratio of the output force (the weight being lifted) to the input force (the force applied to the rope or belt). It can be calculated by dividing the output force by the input force, or by counting the number of supporting ropes or belts in the system. The more ropes or belts in the system, the greater the mechanical advantage.