Stationary observer meaning in relativity problem

member 731016
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1715754592701.png

I don't understand what it means by the notation of a "stationary" observer. I thought there was no such thing as absolute rest. Does someone please know whether it means stationary with respect to the object?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Supposedly that’s why they put it in quotation marks. The intended meaning is most likely stationary in their rest frame, ie, the rest frame is inertial.

Note that there is no requirement that another physical object should be at rest in that frame.

• Love
Likes member 731016
Orodruin said:
Supposedly that’s why they put it in quotation marks. The intended meaning is most likely stationary in their rest frame, ie, the rest frame is inertial.

Note that there is no requirement that another physical object should be at rest in that frame.
THank you for your reply @Orodruin!

Sorry I'm still confused by this problem. For (a) I get an imaginary velocity.

##L = \frac{L_0}{γ}##
##\frac{L_0}{2} = \frac{L_0}{γ}##
##2 = \sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}##
##4 = 1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}##
##3 = -\frac{v^2}{c^2}##
##\sqrt{-3c^2} = v##

Thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
THank you for your reply @Orodruin!

Sorry I'm still confused by this problem. For (a) I get an imaginary velocity.

##L = \frac{L_0}{γ}##
##\frac{L_0}{2} = \frac{L_0}{γ}##
##2 = \sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}##
##4 = 1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}##
##3 = -\frac{v^2}{c^2}##
##\sqrt{-3c^2} = v##

Thanks!
Check the line 3.

• Love
Likes member 731016
Hill said:
Check the line 3.
Thank you for your reply @Hill!

I have checked it, and it looks correct to me. I just flipped both of the fractions up and bottom which is allowed please?

Thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:

I have checked it, and it looks correct to me. I just flipped both of the fractions up and bottom which is allowed please?

Thanks!
No, it is not correct. Show your steps.

• Love
Likes member 731016
Hill said:
No, it is not correct. Show your steps.

That is my steps. That is the steps wrote down when solving the problem. Basically be law of algebra, if I flip one side I can flip the other right?

Thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:

That is my steps. That is the steps wrote down when solving the problem. Basically be law of algebra, if I flip one side I can flip the other right?

Thanks!
Yes, you can flip. But this flipping does not produce your line 3 shown above.

• Love
Likes member 731016
Hill said:
Yes, you can flip. But this flipping does not produce your line 3 shown above.
Thank you for you reply @Hill! Sorry I'm so confused.The ##L_0##s both cancel, do you please know what I am missing?

Thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
Thank you for you reply @Hill! Sorry I'm so confused.The ##L_0##s both cancel, do you please know what I am missing?

Thanks!
Can you show how you get ##2 = \sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}##? Not with words, only with algebra.

• Love
Likes member 731016
Hill said:
Can you show how you get ##2 = \sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}##? Not with words, only with algebra.

No I can't sorry, it is something I learnt many years ago, I just know from the law of algebra if you do one thing to one side then you need to do the same thing to the other side. Do you please know the steps?

Thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:

No I can't sorry, it is something I learnt many years ago, I just know from the law of algebra if you do one thing to one side then you need to do the same thing to the other side. Do you please know the steps?

Thanks!
When you flip ##\frac{L_0}{2} = \frac{L_0}{γ}##, you get ##2 = γ##. It is not the same as ##2 = \sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}##.

• Love
Likes jbriggs444 and member 731016
Hill said:
When you flip ##\frac{L_0}{2} = \frac{L_0}{γ}##, you get ##2 = γ##. It is not the same as ##2 = \sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}##.
Oh thank you @Hill! Sorry I did't see that. That should fix the sign error then.

Thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
Oh thank you @Hill! Sorry I did't see that. That should fix the sign error then.

Thanks!
Do NOT jump steps in algebra!

• Love
Likes member 731016
Hill said:
Do NOT jump steps in algebra!
Thank you for your reply @Hill! Sorry I did't consider that jump steps in agelbra. This is what trying to do SR on 2 hours of sleep does to my brain