Statistical Physics - blackbody radiation

In summary, the cavity contains black body radiation at temperature at T=500K. A optical mode in the cavity with frequency w=2.5x10^(13) Hz is considered. The equation for the probability of finding n photons in the mode is P(X=n) = λn e-λ/n!
Matt atkinson

Homework Statement

A cavity contains black body radiation at temperature at T=500K. Consider a optical mode in the cavity with frequency w=2.5x10^(13) Hz. Calculate;
(a)the probability of finding 0 photons in the mode.
(b)the probability of finding 1 photon in the mode
(c)the mean number of photons in the mode.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I'm not sure where to start basically with part (a) and (b), but I made an attempt at part (c)
I used the equation;
[tex]\bar{n}=\frac{1}{e^{\frac{\hbar\omega}{k_b T}}-1}=2.51\times 10^{-17} Photons[/tex]
would really love a nudge in the right way, I've just gone blank on probability it's been so long since I last did it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump! ;D

Matt atkinson said:
A cavity contains black body radiation at temperature at T=500K. Consider a optical mode in the cavity with frequency w=2.5x10^(13) Hz. Calculate;
(a)the probability of finding 0 photons in the mode.
(b)the probability of finding 1 photon in the mode
(c)the mean number of photons in the mode.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I'm not sure where to start basically with part (a) and (b), but I made an attempt at part (c)
I used the equation;
[tex]\bar{n}=\frac{1}{e^{\frac{\hbar\omega}{k_b T}}-1}=2.51\times 10^{-17} Photons[/tex]
would really love a nudge in the right way, I've just gone blank on probability it's been so long since I last did it.

The probability distribution will be a Poisson dstribution, so
P(X=n) = λn e/n!
where λ is the mean of the distribution.
If your answer to (c) is correct, then (a) and (b) are easy,
just put in n=0 and n=1.
BTW if your formula for (c) is correct,
then your numerical answer for (c) is incorrect.

Last edited:
Matt atkinson said:
I used the equation;

The equation is correct, but your numerical result is incorrect. I get roughly 0.1. You should recheck the calculation.

For information on calculating the probability that the mode contains n photons, see for example the following discussion

http://physics.ucsc.edu/~drip/5D/photons/photons.pdf

To solve for part (a) and (b), you can use the Boltzmann distribution, which relates the probability of finding a certain number of particles in a system to the energy of that state. In this case, the energy of a photon in the optical mode can be calculated using the Planck's law equation:
E = h*w, where h is Planck's constant and w is the frequency of the mode.

(a) To find the probability of finding 0 photons in the mode, you can use the Boltzmann distribution:
P(0 photons) = e^(-E/kT) = e^(-h*w/kT)

(b) To find the probability of finding 1 photon in the mode, you can use the Boltzmann distribution:
P(1 photon) = e^(-E/kT) = e^(-h*w/kT)

(c) To find the mean number of photons in the mode, you can use the average energy formula:
< E > = (sum of all possible energies * probability of each energy)
< E > = (0 * P(0 photons)) + (h*w * P(1 photon))
< E > = h*w * P(1 photon)

Therefore, the mean number of photons in the mode is equal to P(1 photon). You can use the equations from parts (a) and (b) to calculate the mean number of photons in the mode.

Related to Statistical Physics - blackbody radiation

What is statistical physics?

Statistical physics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods and concepts to understand and describe the behavior of systems composed of a large number of particles.

What is blackbody radiation?

Blackbody radiation refers to the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a perfect blackbody, which is an object that absorbs all incident radiation and emits it at a characteristic spectrum depending on its temperature.

How is blackbody radiation related to statistical physics?

Statistical physics provides a theoretical framework to explain the behavior of blackbody radiation. It utilizes concepts such as the distribution of energy among particles and the quantum nature of radiation to derive the blackbody radiation spectrum.

What is the blackbody radiation spectrum?

The blackbody radiation spectrum is the distribution of energy emitted by a blackbody at different wavelengths and temperatures. It follows a specific curve known as the Planck distribution, which describes the intensity of radiation at each wavelength.

Can blackbody radiation be observed in real life?

Yes, blackbody radiation can be observed in various scenarios such as the radiation emitted by stars, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the thermal radiation emitted by objects at room temperature. However, it may not perfectly follow the theoretical blackbody radiation spectrum due to factors such as the non-ideal nature of real objects and the effects of absorption and scattering.