Statistical Physics vs QFT for quantum information processing

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student's struggle to choose between taking a Statistical Physics or QFT I course for their first semester in their master's program in physics. The student is interested in pursuing quantum information processing, but both courses have valuable and relevant material. The student ultimately decides to take QFT I, as it is seen as a more well-rounded education and necessary for a physicist, while also acknowledging the importance of condensed matter in quantum computing. The conversation also touches on the relationship between statistical mechanics and quantum field theory, and the importance of a balanced education in physics.
Verdict
Good day,

I'm starting my master in physics, and it's time for me to choose my courses. I've decided that I probably want to pursue the direction of quantum information processing, and I'm trying to pick my courses with that in mind. For my first semester I'll be taking four courses: Quantum Optics, Quantum Information Theory, a mandatory social science course and the fourth course, which will either be Statistical Physics or QFT I. Now, I'm finding it very hard to decide as both have parts that will probably be very valuable, as well as topics that I don't really need to learn about, for now.

As for the actual contents of the courses:
Statistical Physics
Basics of phenomenological thermodynamics, three laws of thermodynamics.
Basics of kinetic gas theory: conservation laws, H-theorem, Boltzmann-Equations, Maxwell distribution.
Classical statistical physics: microcanonical ensembles, canonical ensembles and grandcanonical ensembles, applications to simple systems.
Quantum statistical physics: single particle, ideal quantum gases, fermions and bosons.
Bose-Einstein condensation: Bogolyubov theory, superfluidity.
Mean field and Landau theory: Ising model, Heisenberg model, Landau theory of phase transitions, fluctuations.
Critical phenomena: mean field, series expansions, scaling behavior, universality.
Renormalization group: fixed points, simple models.
Linear response theory: general formulation, response in mean field, sum rules, collective modes, fluctuation dissipation theorem.

QFT I:
This course discusses the quantisation of fields in order to introduce a coherent formalism for the combination of quantum mechanics and special relativity.
Topics include:
- Relativistic quantum mechanics
- Quantisation of bosonic and fermionic fields
- Interactions in perturbation theory
- Scattering processes and decays
- Radiative corrections

Now I've already done some StatMech in my Bachelors degree, but definitely not as advanced as will be treated here. I know about Fermi Dirac and Bose Einstein, and the different canonical ensembles, but that's about it. When it comes to QFT, I guess I don't know anything about that really, only that a lot of people say it's only useful if I want to do theory, but I feel like that does not do it justice.

Note that taking both simultaneously does not work out schedule wise. I might be able to take the other course a year from now, although I'm not sure if that'll work out. If I left out anything important, please let me know!

Physics news on Phys.org
In a way the statistical mechanics course has field theory. There's a close formal analogy between statistical mechanics of fields and quantum field theory. Historically, critical phenomena in statistical physics was figured out by Wilson, a quantum field theorist. However, he brought new concepts in, and those concepts migrated back to quantum field theory. After Wilson, people understood that renormalization was conceptually ok from a physics point of view.

I find this a hard one, it seems neither is particularly relevant for quantum information.

Statistical physics doesn't really enter into quantum information, since the latter is about preserving exact quantum mechanical evolution, hence the usual statistical approximations are not that useful. However I see that stat phys course also addresses some condensed matter, which is definitely more relevant to quantum information when it comes to finding physical systems which could be used for quantum computing.

The reason QFT doesn't seem that relevant is because quantum information usually addresses systems with finite degrees of freedom (bits!). Again QFT plays an important role in condensed matter physics, but for the type of condensed matter systems that are useful from a quantum info POV (at least the branch I'm familiar with: topological quantum computing) QFT doesn't play such a central role (topological quantum field theory can, but that's quite different from what you'd learn in a QFT course).

If I were you, I'd probably choose for QFT, mostly motivated by a well-rounded education: the things you'd learn in the stat mech course could probably be picked up along the way, but I doubt you'd ever properly learn QFT if you didn't take a course in it (and honestly it seems a bit weird to have had a grad education in physics without knowing some QFT, but that's perhaps personal!). But yeah maybe it's just best to follow your personal preference on this one? I've only had experience with Q info, stat mech and QFT at the level of grad level courses, so maybe others can give better advice, but as far as I can see there's not a compelling reason to choose one course over the other. (Is there no condensed matter course?)

Thanks for the comments, very insightful! To answer your question about the condensed matter, there is indeed an advanced condensed matter course. However, it violently clashes with the quantum information theory course, timetable wise. I might be able to take it the year after though. If I can, I definitely will. But for now, your argument for QFT sounds sensible, and many of my peers have also suggested taking the course. Some even say that you can't call yourself a physicist until you've learned QFT, but that's a story for a different topic..

I understand your dilemma in trying to choose between Statistical Physics and QFT for your studies in quantum information processing. Both courses have their own unique contributions to the field and it is important to consider which one will be more beneficial for your specific interests and career goals.

Statistical Physics, as you have mentioned, covers topics such as Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein statistics and canonical ensembles, which are important concepts in understanding the behavior of large systems of particles. These concepts are also applicable in quantum information processing, specifically in understanding the behavior of quantum systems at the macroscopic level. Additionally, Statistical Physics also covers topics such as phase transitions and critical phenomena, which have applications in quantum computing and quantum communication.

On the other hand, QFT focuses on the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and their application to fields such as particle physics. While it may not seem directly related to quantum information processing, QFT has become increasingly important in this field due to its ability to describe the behavior of entangled quantum states and its role in quantum error correction. Furthermore, QFT also has applications in quantum computing algorithms and quantum cryptography.

In my opinion, both courses have valuable contributions to quantum information processing and it ultimately depends on your specific interests and career goals. If you are more interested in the macroscopic behavior of quantum systems, then Statistical Physics may be a better choice. However, if you are interested in the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and their applications in quantum information processing, then QFT may be a better fit for you. It is also worth considering if you plan to pursue a career in theoretical research or experimental work, as this may also influence your decision.

I would recommend discussing your options with your professors or academic advisors to get a better understanding of the course contents and their relevance to your interests. You may also consider taking a closer look at the syllabus for each course to see which topics align more with your interests. Ultimately, whichever course you choose, I am sure it will provide valuable knowledge and skills for your future studies and career in quantum information processing. Good luck with your decision!

Related to Statistical Physics vs QFT for quantum information processing

1. What is the difference between statistical physics and QFT for quantum information processing?

Statistical physics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to study the behavior of large systems of particles, while quantum field theory (QFT) deals with the quantization of classical fields. In the context of quantum information processing, statistical physics is used to describe the statistical properties of systems with a large number of quantum particles, while QFT is used to describe the behavior of quantum fields that are used to encode and manipulate information.

2. Which approach is more commonly used in quantum information processing?

Both statistical physics and QFT are important in quantum information processing, but their use depends on the specific application. Statistical physics is more commonly used for studying the statistical properties of quantum systems, such as in quantum computing, while QFT is more commonly used for describing the behavior of quantum fields in quantum communications and cryptography.

3. How do statistical physics and QFT complement each other in quantum information processing?

Statistical physics and QFT are complementary approaches in quantum information processing. Statistical physics provides a framework for understanding the macroscopic behavior of quantum systems, while QFT provides a detailed description of the underlying quantum fields and their interactions. Together, these approaches help us understand and manipulate quantum systems for information processing purposes.

4. Can statistical physics and QFT be used interchangeably in quantum information processing?

No, statistical physics and QFT cannot be used interchangeably in quantum information processing. While they both deal with quantum systems, they have different focuses and mathematical formalisms. It is important to use the appropriate approach for the specific application in order to accurately describe and manipulate quantum systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using statistical physics and QFT in quantum information processing?

As with any scientific approach, there are limitations to using statistical physics and QFT in quantum information processing. These approaches are based on theoretical models and assumptions, and may not fully capture the complexities of real-world quantum systems. Additionally, there may be practical limitations in implementing these approaches in experimental settings. Ongoing research is focused on improving and expanding these approaches for more accurate and efficient quantum information processing.