Statistics 101 problem. Using confidence values and z scores?

• Thread starter famtrecrew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, a study comparing zinc-supplemented mothers to those who received a placebo during pregnancy found that babies in the zinc group had a significantly higher weight at birth. Using a significance level of 0.05, the calculated z score of 3.229 indicated that the null hypothesis (m<=0) should be rejected, supporting the alternative hypothesis (m>0) and showing a positive weight gain in the zinc supplement category. However, to accurately compare the two groups, the pooled standard deviation should be calculated due to unequal sample sizes and variances.
famtrecrew
1. A study of zinc-deficient mothers was conducted to determine whether zinc supplemnetation during pregnancy results in babies with increased weight at birth. The weights are measured in grams. Use a 0.05 significance level to test the claim that zinc supplementation does increase weight at birth

2. Zinc group: n=294 xbar=3214 s=669

Placebo Group: n=286 xbar=3088 s=728

3. I tried using z scores to figure this out by using the equation z= xbar-m/sigma/[squareroot of n] however i am not sure if i need some sort of hypothesis testing or how to go about solving this. Since i don't know m I was using the xbar1-xbar2 on the numerator. Any help is appreciated. The answer i got was using Hnot: m<=0 and H1: m>0. Then getting 1.96 and a calculated z score of 3.229. Since 3.229>1.96 I stated that we reject Hnot and which means that m is greater than 0 showing a positive weight gain in the zinc supliment category. I think that this is wrong though.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would start by clarifying the question and the information provided. The question asks to test the claim that zinc supplementation increases weight at birth, but the data provided only includes the weights of the babies in each group. It does not mention whether the mothers in the zinc group were actually given zinc supplementation during pregnancy. This information is crucial in determining whether the claim can be tested.

Assuming that the mothers in the zinc group were indeed given zinc supplementation, the next step would be to formulate the null and alternative hypotheses. The null hypothesis (H0) would be that there is no difference in the weight at birth between babies born to mothers who received zinc supplementation and those who did not. The alternative hypothesis (Ha) would be that there is a difference, specifically an increase, in the weight at birth for babies born to mothers who received zinc supplementation.

Next, I would use the information provided to calculate the z-score and p-value. The z-score can be calculated using the formula provided in the question, where xbar1 and xbar2 are the mean weights of the zinc and placebo groups respectively, and sigma is the pooled standard deviation of the two groups. The p-value can then be determined using a z-table or a statistical software.

If the p-value is less than 0.05, then we can reject the null hypothesis and conclude that there is a significant difference in the weight at birth between the two groups. However, if the p-value is greater than 0.05, we would fail to reject the null hypothesis and cannot conclude that there is a difference in weight at birth between the two groups.

In conclusion, more information is needed to accurately test the claim that zinc supplementation increases weight at birth. Once all necessary information is provided, the appropriate statistical test can be conducted to determine the significance of the results.

Related to Statistics 101 problem. Using confidence values and z scores?

1. What is a confidence value and how is it used in statistics?

A confidence value is a measure of how confident we are that a certain result is accurate. In statistics, it is typically represented as a percentage and is used to determine the likelihood that a sample accurately represents the entire population. For example, a confidence value of 95% means that we are 95% confident that the sample accurately reflects the population.

2. What is a z score and how is it calculated?

A z score, also known as a standard score, is a measure of how many standard deviations a data point is from the mean. It is calculated by subtracting the mean from the data point and dividing that difference by the standard deviation. This standardizes the data and allows for easier comparison between different data sets.

3. How are confidence values and z scores related?

Confidence values and z scores are related in that they both help to determine the level of confidence we have in a certain result. A higher confidence value typically corresponds to a smaller margin of error and a larger z score, indicating a more accurate result. However, the two are not directly related and should be evaluated separately.

4. What is the significance of using a confidence value of 95% in statistics?

A confidence value of 95% is commonly used in statistics because it provides a balance between accuracy and practicality. It means that there is a 95% chance that the sample accurately reflects the population, while also allowing for a small margin of error. This level of confidence is widely accepted in the scientific community.

5. How can I use confidence values and z scores to make decisions?

Confidence values and z scores can be used to make decisions by providing a measure of how confident we can be in a certain result. If the confidence value is high and the z score is large, we can have more confidence in the result and use it to make informed decisions. However, it is important to also consider other factors and potential limitations in the data before making any decisions based on statistical analysis.