Statistics Book: Find a Level & Theory Equivalent to Stewart Calculus

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good statistics book that is equivalent to Stewart's Calculus in terms of level and theory. The person is considering retaking a statistics class and wants to know if such a book exists. They have thumbed through many statistics books and have not found one that meets their standards. One person suggests going with a book on probability, but the original person is not interested in that topic. Another person recommends A First Course in Probability by Sheldon Ross, which the original person enjoyed and found clear and concise. The conversation ends with a discussion on the importance of learning probability in statistics.
Cyrus
Is there a good statistics book that is the equivalent of Stewart for Calculus in terms of level and theory?

I am probably going to retake stat in the math department at some point (or not), but want to know if such a book exists. By and large, the stat books I have thumbed through are garbage.

Physics news on Phys.org
go with a book on probability, that's the theory behind statistics

A Primer to Probability

Probability? I don't want probability.

I took a statistics class last year and we covered a lot of things from really basic stuff to some mind-boggling intense stuff. The textbook that we used for our class was [bold]A First Course in Probability[/bold] by [bold]Sheldon Ross[/bold] (don't mind the name, its actually a book on statistics ). I haven't looked at a lot of statistics books, but I seriously loved this book. Very clear and concise. It is one of those books that you might actually feel like reading.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Probability? I don't want probability.

Umm, you expect to learn statistics without learning probability? Statistics IS probability, at least the non-grabage part is.

FAQ: Statistics Book: Find a Level & Theory Equivalent to Stewart Calculus

1. What is the purpose of a "Statistics Book: Find a Level & Theory Equivalent to Stewart Calculus"?

A "Statistics Book: Find a Level & Theory Equivalent to Stewart Calculus" is designed to provide a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of statistics, equivalent to that of Stewart Calculus in terms of level and theory. It aims to help readers gain a strong foundation in statistics, allowing them to apply statistical concepts and techniques to real-world problems.

2. Who is the target audience for a "Statistics Book: Find a Level & Theory Equivalent to Stewart Calculus"?

The target audience for a "Statistics Book: Find a Level & Theory Equivalent to Stewart Calculus" is typically students or professionals who have a strong background in mathematics and are looking to further their knowledge in statistics. It can also be useful for individuals who are preparing for advanced studies or careers in fields such as data science, economics, or engineering.

3. How does a "Statistics Book: Find a Level & Theory Equivalent to Stewart Calculus" compare to other statistics textbooks?

In comparison to other statistics textbooks, a "Statistics Book: Find a Level & Theory Equivalent to Stewart Calculus" offers a more in-depth coverage of statistical theory and concepts, similar to that of Stewart Calculus in the field of calculus. It also includes a variety of real-world examples and applications, making it a valuable resource for both theoretical and practical understanding of statistics.

4. Is prior knowledge of calculus necessary to understand a "Statistics Book: Find a Level & Theory Equivalent to Stewart Calculus"?

While prior knowledge of calculus is not required, it can be beneficial for readers to have a basic understanding of calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals. However, the book does include a review of relevant calculus topics in the beginning chapters, making it accessible to readers with varying levels of mathematical background.

5. Are there any additional resources included in a "Statistics Book: Find a Level & Theory Equivalent to Stewart Calculus"?

In addition to the main text, a "Statistics Book: Find a Level & Theory Equivalent to Stewart Calculus" may also include practice problems, worked examples, and online resources such as interactive quizzes and supplementary materials. These resources can aid in further understanding and application of statistical concepts and techniques.