Statistics, Conditional distributions, UMVUE, Rao-Blackwell

In summary, Don't you want to start with an unbiased estimator? You don't have to though. You can use Lehmann-Scheffe.
libragirl79
Hi,

I have a general concept question.
I am working with finding complete sufficient statistics of distributions. Sometimes I need to condition some function of a parameter on a sufficient statistic, using basically Rao-Blackwell, but my trouble is in finding the conditional distributions so I can get the mean.

For example, if Xbar denotes the mean of some random sample X1,X2,...Xn from a gamma distribution where alpha is known and beta is the parameter I am trying to estimate, I know that Xbar is the sufficient statistic and choosing X1 as my preliminary estimator, I would condition it on Xbar and get the mean, so I am trying to find:
E[X1|Xbar]. My question is how do I find the distribution of X1|Xbar? I know that conditional distribution is joint of (X1 and Xbar) divided by pdf of Xbar, but I am not sure how to actually go about this...

Another example would be if I have a pdf: e^-(x-θ) and want to find the best unbiased estimator for θ^r. So, given that I know that smallest order statistic X(1) is my complete sufficient statistic, I am basically looking for E[some function u(x)|X(1)]=θ^r and to find that function, need to get the conditional distribution of u(x) given X(1).

I hope this makes sense of what I am trying to do...

Thanks very much for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hm. Don't you want an unbiased estimator to start with? Is X1 unbiased for β?

No, X1 wouldn't be an unbiased estimator of Beta, since the mean of X1 is alpha*beta given that X1 has gamma dist...

Yeah, it seems a bit difficult. If you're looking for the UMVUE, you don't have to though. Can't you use Lehmann-Scheffe here, in the case of the Gamma?

yeah, I believe if alpha is given, then the MLE for Gamma would be Xbar/alpha. I am just not sure how to get these conditional distributions when doing Rao-Blackwellizing...

Related to Statistics, Conditional distributions, UMVUE, Rao-Blackwell

1. What is the definition of statistics?

Statistics is the branch of mathematics that deals with collecting, analyzing, interpreting, and presenting data. It involves the use of mathematical techniques to make sense of large amounts of data and to draw conclusions or make predictions based on that data.

2. What is a conditional distribution?

A conditional distribution is a probability distribution that shows the probability of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It is a way to analyze the relationship between two or more variables and understand how one variable affects the probability of another variable.

3. What does UMVUE stand for and what is its significance?

UMVUE stands for "Uniformly Minimum Variance Unbiased Estimator". It is a type of estimator in statistics that is both unbiased (meaning it is accurate on average) and has the lowest possible variance (meaning it is consistent and precise). UMVUEs are important because they allow us to estimate unknown parameters in a population with minimal error.

4. What is the Rao-Blackwell theorem?

The Rao-Blackwell theorem states that if we have an unbiased estimator for a parameter, we can use a function of that estimator to create a new estimator that has a smaller variance. This means that we can improve the precision of our estimates by using a transformation of an existing estimator, which can be useful in situations where we have limited data.

5. How is the Rao-Blackwell theorem related to UMVUEs?

The Rao-Blackwell theorem is often used to find UMVUEs. By using the theorem to improve the precision of an existing estimator, we can create a new estimator that is both unbiased and has the lowest possible variance. This new estimator is then considered a UMVUE for the parameter of interest.