[Statistics] Factorisation theorem proof

In summary: Yes exactly. I don't see why we can write it.That equality is due to the definitions associated with the notation being used plus the fact that the probability of an event can be expressed as the sum of the probabilities of events that partition it into mutually exclusive sets.f_{T(X)}(t|\theta) denotes the probability density of the discrete random variable T(X) on the probability space " X given \theta ". The event T(X) = t in that probability space is exactly the event that X takes on some value that makes T(X) = t. The notation "\tilde{x}: T(\tilde{
Heidrun
Hello. I have a question about a step in the factorization theorem demonstration.

1. Homework Statement

Here is the theorem (begins end of page 1), it is not my course but I have almost the same demonstration : http://math.arizona.edu/~jwatkins/sufficiency.pdf
Screenshot of it:
591799factorization.png

Homework Equations

Could someone please explain me how to justify the first equality of that step?
891254factorization2.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I think a possible justification is because the sample is a sufficient statistic but it feels like it's not enough/not the right justification

Physics news on Phys.org
Heidrun said:
Could someone please explain me how to justify the first equality of that step?
891254factorization2.png

The first equality is [itex] f_{T(X)}(t|\theta) = \sum_{\tilde{x}:T(\tilde{x}) = t} f_X(\tilde{x}|\theta) [/itex]. [itex]\ [/itex] Is that what you're asking about ?

Stephen Tashi said:
The first equality is [itex] f_{T(X)}(t|\theta) = \sum_{\tilde{x}:T(\tilde{x}) = t} f_X(\tilde{x}|\theta) [/itex]. [itex]\ [/itex] Is that what you're asking about ?

Yes exactly. I don't see why we can write it.

That equality is due to the definitions associated with the notation being used plus the fact that the probability of an event can be expressed as the sum of the probabilities of events that partition it into mutually exclusive sets.

[itex] f_{T(X)}(t|\theta) [/itex] denotes the probability density of the discrete random variable [itex] T(X) [/itex] on the probability space "[itex] X [/itex] given [itex] \theta [/itex]".

The event [itex] T(X) = t [/itex] in that probability space is exactly the event that [itex] X [/itex] takes on some value that makes [itex] T(X) = t. [/itex] The notation "[itex]\tilde{x}: T(\tilde{x}) = t [/itex] denotes that event expressed in terms of a variable [itex] \tilde{x} [/itex]. The notation [itex] f_X(\tilde{X}|\theta) [/itex] says we are assigning probability to that event using the probability density function defined on the probability space of "[itex] X [/itex] given [itex] \theta [/itex]".

For example, if event [itex] A [/itex] can be partititoned into mutually exclusive events [itex] A1, A2[/itex] then [itex] p(A) = p(A1) + p(A2) [/itex]. If [itex] A [/itex] is the event [itex] T(X) = 4 [/itex] and this can be partitioned into the mutually exclusive events [itex] X = 2 [/itex] and [itex] X = -2 [/itex] then [itex] f_{T(X)} (4) = f_X(2) + f_X(-2) [/itex].

Likes Heidrun
Allright thanks a lot!

FAQ: [Statistics] Factorisation theorem proof

1. What is the factorisation theorem in statistics?

The factorisation theorem is a fundamental concept in statistics that states that any probability distribution can be expressed as a product of two or more simpler probability distributions. This theorem is a powerful tool that allows statisticians to break down complex distributions into more manageable components.

2. Why is the factorisation theorem important?

The factorisation theorem is important because it allows for the simplification of complex probability distributions, making it easier to analyze and interpret data. It also provides a theoretical framework for understanding the relationships between different variables in a statistical model.

3. How is the factorisation theorem used in statistical analysis?

The factorisation theorem is used in statistical analysis to break down a complex probability distribution into simpler components, such as the joint distribution of two independent variables. This allows for the application of various statistical techniques, such as maximum likelihood estimation and Bayesian inference, to make inferences and predictions about the data.

4. What is the proof of the factorisation theorem?

The proof of the factorisation theorem is a mathematical demonstration that shows how any probability distribution can be factored into simpler distributions. The proof relies on the properties of joint and conditional probabilities, as well as the concept of independence between variables.

5. Can the factorisation theorem be applied to any probability distribution?

Yes, the factorisation theorem can be applied to any probability distribution, as long as the necessary assumptions and conditions are met. This includes the requirement that the variables in the distribution must be independent or at least conditionally independent.