Statistics Probability Question

In summary: So P(X=0)=1/3 P(X=0)=1/3In summary, the manufacturer of a low-calorie dairy drink is conducting a taste test between their standard formula (formula A) and a new formula (formula B). Three judges are given three glasses in random order, two containing formula A and one containing formula B. X represents the number of judges who prefer formula A. The sample space for X is 0, 1, 2, or 3. The probability of X=0 is 1/3, as all three judges must choose formula B for this to occur.
jrodd321

Homework Statement

1. The manufacturer of a low-calorie dairy drink wishes to compare the taste appeal of a new formula (formula B) with that of the standard formula (formula A). Each of 3 judges is given 3 glasses in random order, two containing formula A and the other containing formula B. Each judge is asked to state which glass he most enjoyed. Suppose that two formulas are equally attractive. Let X be the number of judges stating a preference for the standard formula (A).
a) List all the elements of the sample space (S)
b) Find the probability distribution for a random variable X
c) What is the probability that at least 2 of the judges state a preference for formula A
d) Find the expected value of a random variable X
e) Find the standard deviation of random variable X

Homework Equations

0=P(X)=1
Σ P(X)=1
E(X)= Σx P(X)

The Attempt at a Solution

3. I don't really know where to start for this one. I know that each judge has a 2/3 chance of getting formula A and there are 3 judges. I'm confused at how you make the probability distribution for this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You start by answering part (a). If X is the number of judges favoring A what is the sample space for X? X could be ...?

LCKurtz said:
You start by answering part (a). If X is the number of judges favoring A what is the sample space for X? X could be ...?

So then X could be 0,1,2,3 right?

jrodd321 said:
So then X could be 0,1,2,3 right?

Yes. If you consider it a "success" if a judge picks A then X counts the number of "successes". Does that ring any bells? Can you calculate P(X=0) directly?

LCKurtz said:
Yes. If you consider it a "success" if a judge picks A then X counts the number of "successes". Does that ring any bells? Can you calculate P(X=0) directly?

So then the probability of there being 0 success would be 1/3 right?

jrodd321 said:
So then the probability of there being 0 success would be 1/3 right?

No. For X = 0, all three judges must pick B.

As an aside, what discrete probability distributions have you studied?

LCKurtz said:

We just started them last week. What do you mean by "what" discrete probability? There are different kinds?

LCKurtz said:

jrodd321 said:
We just started them last week. What do you mean by "what" discrete probability? There are different kinds?

I didn't ask you "what discrete probability". I asked "what discrete probability distributions". Names like Binomial, Geometric, and others. Have you talked about the Binomal distribution yet?

I asked because I didn't know what level your course was or what you have had. If you haven't had the various standard probability distributions yet, you can still answer your question by calculating the probabilities directly.

For example, the only way X = 0 is possible if all three independent judges choose B, and for each one the probability of them doing that is 1/3. So what's the probability they all three do it?

LCKurtz said:
I didn't ask you "what discrete probability". I asked "what discrete probability distributions". Names like Binomial, Geometric, and others. Have you talked about the Binomal distribution yet?

I asked because I didn't know what level your course was or what you have had. If you haven't had the various standard probability distributions yet, you can still answer your question by calculating the probabilities directly.

For example, the only way X = 0 is possible if all three independent judges choose B, and for each one the probability of them doing that is 1/3. So what's the probability they all three do it?

Binomial doesn't sound familiar to me. The problems we've done so far in class are when we set up a table with X and the P(X) where they give us the X values and then you plug them into the P(X). That's why I'm confused with this problem trying to get all of the X's on my own instead of them being given to us already.

To illustrate the type of table I'm talking about, its exactly like this one.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...8Abe9qilBw&page=1&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:17,s:0

LCKurtz said:
If you haven't had the various standard probability distributions yet, you can still answer your question by calculating the probabilities directly.

jrodd321 said:
Binomial doesn't sound familiar to me. The problems we've done so far in class are when we set up a table with X and the P(X) where they give us the X values and then you plug them into the P(X)...

Which is exactly what I was getting at when I gave you that "for example" above, which you ignored.

LCKurtz said:
Which is exactly what I was getting at when I gave you that "for example" above, which you ignored.

Which I ignored? Relax. I didn't understand what you were saying so I showed you a picture of the table that looked most familiar to what we have been doing in class.

Related to Statistics Probability Question

What is statistics probability?

Statistics probability is the branch of mathematics that deals with the study of random phenomena and the analysis of data. It involves collecting, organizing, and interpreting data to make predictions or decisions.

What is the difference between statistics and probability?

Statistics deals with the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data, while probability is the branch of mathematics that deals with the likelihood of events occurring.

What is the purpose of using statistics probability?

The purpose of using statistics probability is to make predictions and decisions based on data. It helps us to understand and quantify uncertainty in real-world situations.

What are the two main types of probability?

The two main types of probability are theoretical probability, which is based on mathematical principles, and experimental probability, which is based on actual experiments or data.

What are some common applications of statistics probability?

Statistics probability is used in many fields, such as finance, economics, psychology, biology, and engineering. It is also used in everyday life for tasks like predicting weather, sports outcomes, and stock market trends.