Stats: Covariace of 2 Random Variables

In summary, using the formula Cov(X,Z) = E(XZ) - E(X)E(Z), we can compute the covariance of X and Z to be equal to the variance of X, since X and Y are independent. This can also be derived by using the formula Cov(X, X+Y) = Cov(X,X) + Cov(X,Y) for uncorrelated X and Y.
JP16

Homework Statement

Let X ~ Exponential(3) and Y ~ Poisson(5). Assume X and Y are independent. Let Z = X + Y. Compute the Cov(X,Z).

Homework Equations

I know Cov(X, Z) = E(XZ) - E(X)E(Z). But how do I compute E(XZ) and E(Z) ?? Since for E(XZ), I would need the pdf/pmf (Exp is abs cts, while Poisson is discrete). Or can I do the following:

The Attempt at a Solution

Cov (X, Z) = Cov(X, X + Y)
= Cov(X, X) + Cov(X,Y)
= Var(X) + Cov(X,Y)
Since X, Y indep., Cov(X,Y) = 0
= Var(X)

Is this the correct derivation? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as the exam is just around the corner. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JP16 said:
= Cov(X, X) + Cov(X,Y)
= Var(X) + Cov(X,Y)
= Var(X)

Is this the correct derivation? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as the exam is just around the corner. Thanks.
That is the answer I got. If you are not sure about the derivation, try writing it out in terms of expected values.

Thank you for confirming. Although this problem is solved, I would like to know more. Before I was trying to Cov(X,Z) directly without subbing the 'X+Y', and problems rose there. Because

Cov(X,Z) = E(XZ) - E(X)E(Z) then,

E(XZ) = ∫Dxz fX,Z(x, z) dD, where fX,Z(x, z) is the prob. density function of X,Z. Is there any way we can find this function?

E(XZ) = E(X)E(Z), iff X,Z are ind. But clearly Z is dependent of X. Hence this won't work. Is the above way, the only way?

JP16 said:

Homework Statement

Let X ~ Exponential(3) and Y ~ Poisson(5). Assume X and Y are independent. Let Z = X + Y. Compute the Cov(X,Z).

Homework Equations

I know Cov(X, Z) = E(XZ) - E(X)E(Z). But how do I compute E(XZ) and E(Z) ?? Since for E(XZ), I would need the pdf/pmf (Exp is abs cts, while Poisson is discrete). Or can I do the following:

The Attempt at a Solution

= Cov(X, X) + Cov(X,Y)
= Var(X) + Cov(X,Y)
= Var(X)

Just as a matter of notation: does X~exponential(3) mean EX = 3 or EX = 1/3? (The second way is more common, but I have seen the first as well.)

Anyway:
[tex] Cov(X,Z) = E(XZ) - EX EZ = E X^2 + E(X Y) - (EX)^2 - EX EY. [/tex]
What is E(X Y)? What do you get after simplification? (Hint: your final answer is OK.)

Note: you used a result Cov(X,X+Y) = Cov(X,X) + Cov(X,Y) for uncorrelated X,Y, but you need to derive this first. By proceeding directly you can by-pass this.

We use the mean as 1/3. E(XY) = E(X) E(Y) since X and Y are independent. So than it is equal to the Var(X). Thanks for both of your help. Much appreciated. :)

FAQ: Stats: Covariace of 2 Random Variables

1. What is covariance in statistics?

Covariance is a measure of how two random variables change together. It indicates the direction and strength of the linear relationship between two variables. A positive covariance indicates that the variables tend to move in the same direction, while a negative covariance indicates that the variables tend to move in opposite directions.

2. How is covariance calculated?

Covariance is calculated by taking the product of the deviations of each variable from their respective means, and then averaging those products. This can be represented mathematically as Cov(X,Y) = E[(X-E[X])(Y-E[Y])]. The resulting value represents the degree to which the two variables vary together.

3. What is the difference between covariance and correlation?

Covariance and correlation are both measures of the relationship between two variables. While covariance measures the direction and strength of the linear relationship, correlation measures the strength and direction of the linear relationship in a standardized way. This means that correlation is always between -1 and 1, while covariance can take on any value.

4. How is covariance affected by the scale of the variables?

Since covariance is calculated by taking the product of the deviations from the mean, it is affected by the scale of the variables. This means that variables with larger values will have a larger impact on the covariance, even if the relationship between the two variables is the same. To compare the relationship between variables with different scales, it is often more useful to use correlation instead of covariance.

5. Can covariance be negative?

Yes, covariance can be negative. A negative covariance indicates that the two variables tend to move in opposite directions. This means that as one variable increases, the other variable tends to decrease. However, it is important to note that a negative covariance does not necessarily imply a causal relationship between the two variables.