Stats question , have work and answer shown

In summary, the problem involves finding the glucose level L such that there is a probability of 0.05 that the mean glucose level of 4 test results falls above L. The solution involves using the normal distribution formula x= u(mew) + z*r and taking into account the fact that the standard deviation gets smaller as the sample size increases.
deaky220

Homework Statement

i didnt know which forum stats is posted in so i posted it here, but the problem says the q is , Sheilas measure glucose level one hour after a sugary drink varies according to the normal distribution (u= 125 mg/dl) and r=10 mg/dl. What is the level L such that there is a probability only 0.05 that the mean glucose level of 4 test results falls above L?

Homework Equations

x= u(mew) + z*r

The Attempt at a Solution

I did a backwards normal calculation of x= 125 + .5199 (from table A probs) * 10 = 130.199

i think its right but i dunno, does the 4 play a part in my equation or is this the wrong way to do it? ANY information would be helpful

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it does. The average of n samples from a population with mean [itex]mu[/itex] and standard deviation [itex]\sigma[/itex] is normally distributed with mean [itex]mu[/itex] and standard deviation [itex]\sigma\sqrt{n}[/itex]. Notice that means that the larger sample you have the smaller its standard deviation is and the more "accurate" it is.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your statistics problem. It appears that you have correctly calculated the level L, which is the mean glucose level that has a probability of 0.05 of falling above it. Your equation x= u(mew) + z*r is the correct formula for finding the value of x, which in this case represents the mean glucose level.

To answer your question about the 4, it does not play a direct role in your equation. However, it is important to note that the problem is asking for the mean glucose level of 4 test results, so the value of L that you calculated represents the mean of those 4 results.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know. Good luck with your studies!

FAQ: Stats question , have work and answer shown

1. What is the purpose of conducting statistical analyses?

The purpose of conducting statistical analyses is to summarize and analyze data in order to make informed decisions or draw conclusions about a population or phenomenon. It allows for the identification of patterns, trends, and relationships within the data.

2. What is the difference between descriptive and inferential statistics?

Descriptive statistics involves summarizing and describing data using measures such as mean, median, and standard deviation. Inferential statistics involves making inferences or generalizations about a larger population based on a sample of data.

3. How do I determine which statistical test to use?

The choice of statistical test depends on the research question, data type, and assumptions of the data. It is important to understand the characteristics of the data and the research question in order to select the most appropriate test.

4. What is the importance of including a sample size in statistical analyses?

The sample size is important in statistical analyses because it affects the validity and reliability of the results. A larger sample size generally leads to more accurate and representative results, while a smaller sample size may not be generalizable to a larger population.

5. How do I interpret the results of a statistical analysis?

The interpretation of statistical results involves understanding the statistical significance (if any), the effect size, and the practical significance of the results. It is important to consider the context of the research question and the limitations of the data when interpreting the results.