Stats: Simple Linear Regression

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a simple linear regression model and its components. The problem involves calculating the MLEs and least squares estimates for the intercept and slope, as well as interpreting the correlation coefficient as a measure of linear correlation. The conversation also touches on the use of R output to calculate values and the relationship between the variables X and Y in the problem.
Ted123

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4421/statsii.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Done parts (a) and (b). How do I do parts (c) and (d)?

Is the simple linear regression model just [itex]Y_i=\beta_0+\beta_1 X_i + \varepsilon_i[/itex] where [itex]\varepsilon_i \stackrel {\text{i.i.d.}}{\sim} N(0,\sigma^2)[/itex]

Does [itex]X_i[/itex] respresent the age of the bus and [itex]Y_i[/itex] the maintenance cost?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
a simple linear regression model would be
M = b.A + c + e
where e is a normally distributed error term centred on zero

lanedance said:
a simple linear regression model would be
M = b.A + c + e
where e is a normally distributed error term centred on zero

In part (c) the MLEs of [itex]\beta_0[/itex] and [itex]\beta_1[/itex] are the same as the least squares estimates of the intercept and the slope (from part (b)).

I've calculated the values of a and b in the least squares regression line using the definitions. Is there any way of getting these from the R output?

The correlation coefficient in part (a) is 0.9340776458684332 (can get this from R output - square root of the 'mutiple R-squared' value) and this implies there is a strong positive linear correlation.

What can I say about whether X and Y are related in part (d)?

Last edited:

Related to Stats: Simple Linear Regression

1. What is simple linear regression?

Simple linear regression is a statistical method used to understand the relationship between two continuous variables. It involves fitting a straight line to a set of data points in order to predict the value of one variable based on the value of the other variable.

2. How is simple linear regression different from multiple linear regression?

Simple linear regression involves only one independent variable, while multiple linear regression involves two or more independent variables. In simple linear regression, the relationship between the dependent and independent variable is assumed to be linear, while in multiple linear regression, the relationship can be more complex.

3. What is the significance of the slope and intercept in simple linear regression?

The slope represents the change in the dependent variable for every one unit change in the independent variable. The intercept represents the value of the dependent variable when the independent variable is equal to zero. These values can be used to make predictions about the dependent variable based on the independent variable.

4. What is the purpose of calculating the coefficient of determination (R-squared) in simple linear regression?

The coefficient of determination (R-squared) measures the proportion of variation in the dependent variable that can be explained by the independent variable. It ranges from 0 to 1, with higher values indicating a stronger relationship between the two variables.

5. What are some limitations of simple linear regression?

Simple linear regression assumes a linear relationship between the variables, which may not be the case in real-world data. It also assumes that the data is normally distributed and that there is no multicollinearity (high correlation) among the independent variables. Additionally, simple linear regression can only be used for continuous variables, not categorical variables.