Status of neutron magnetic moment?

In summary, the conversation discusses a possible disagreement between a recent measurement of the neutron's magnetic moment and the standard model calculations. The original speaker is seeking help to remember which measurement it was, while another participant suggests posting on a physics forum. Eventually, the conversation shifts to the muon anomalous moment, which is also beyond the standard model calculation.
arivero
Gold Member
I believe to remember some recent comments about the measurement of neutron magnetic moment or some other quantity of this particle, which was not very well in agreement with standard model calculations. I can not remember which measurement it was, or when. Can anyone help my poor neurons?

Physics news on Phys.org
Neutrons could perhaps become highly magnetic at ceirtain temperatures. Why don't you post this at physics help?

Er... it was Standard Model related, more than "physics help". I believe to remember that it was a measure just in the border (2-3 deviations or so) of standard model, thus sort of hint of new physics and blah blah.

Sorry it seems I have already used the 100% of my brain :-) and I can not remember more details.

Hmm my memory returned. It is the muon anomalous moment which is now slightly beyond the standard model calculation. No the neutron :-(

Related to Status of neutron magnetic moment?

1. What is the significance of the neutron magnetic moment in physics?

The neutron magnetic moment is a fundamental property of the neutron that helps explain its interactions with other particles and electromagnetic fields. It is also important in understanding the structure of atoms and nuclei.

2. How is the neutron magnetic moment measured?

The neutron magnetic moment is measured using experimental techniques such as scattering experiments, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), and beta decay. These methods involve studying the behavior of neutrons in the presence of magnetic fields.

3. What is the current accepted value for the neutron magnetic moment?

The current accepted value for the neutron magnetic moment, as of 2021, is −1.91304273(5) μN (pronounced "mu-nought"), where μN is the nuclear magneton unit. This value has been determined through a combination of experimental measurements and theoretical calculations.

4. How does the neutron magnetic moment differ from the proton's magnetic moment?

The neutron and proton have different magnetic moments due to their different internal structures. The proton has a positive magnetic moment, while the neutron has a negative magnetic moment. Additionally, the proton's magnetic moment is stronger than the neutron's.

5. What is the current understanding of the origin of the neutron magnetic moment?

The origin of the neutron's magnetic moment is still an active area of research in particle physics. It is believed that it arises from the combination of the neutron's spin and its internal structure, including its quark composition and gluon interactions. However, the precise mechanism is still not fully understood and continues to be investigated.

Back