Steady state heat equation in concentric spherical shells

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the steady state solution to the heat equation for a system of spherical shells with heat generation occurring in the outer shell. The equations for the inner and outer shells are Laplace equations, while the outer shell has a Poisson equation. The solution for the Laplace equation is a constant, but this creates a problem with the boundary condition for heat conduction at the inner radius. It is determined that there is no steady state solution if there is a non-zero flux inwards, and the core will continue to get hotter without limit. The solution is to balance the outwards conduction with half of the generated heat, resulting in a net flux of zero and a core temperature equal to the temperature of the shell
capandbells

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to find the steady state solution to the heat equation for a system of spherical shells (looks like http://correlatingcancer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/nanoshell-thumb.jpg" ) where heat generation Q occurs in the outer shell (so I have two Laplace equations for the inner sphere and the medium outside the system and a Poisson equation for the outer shell). The system is also spherically symmetric, so the equations are just in the radial variable.

I know the solution for the Laplace equation in this case is T(r) = A + B/r and I believe that in the case of the inner region, B must be zero since the solution has to be finite at the origin. This means the solution is a constant. However, if the solution is constant, then the boundary condition on the heat conduction at the inner radius can't hold, since dT/dr = 0. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Can someone help me out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no steady state solution if there is a non-zero flux inwards. Think about it: the core will get hotter and hotter without limit. Steady state will occur when outwards conduction matches the one half of the generated heat that is conducted inwards, giving a net flux of zero and a core temperature equal to the temperature of the shell where heat is generated.

Thanks. I had been thinking about that, but my brain's natural tendency to avoid hard work made me doubt it. :P I'll get to work on the full heat equation then.

FAQ: Steady state heat equation in concentric spherical shells

What is the steady state heat equation in concentric spherical shells?

The steady state heat equation in concentric spherical shells is a mathematical equation that describes the flow of heat in a system with spherical symmetry. It is used to determine the temperature distribution in a system with concentric spherical shells, such as a planet or a spherical container.

What are the variables in the steady state heat equation in concentric spherical shells?

The variables in the steady state heat equation in concentric spherical shells include the radial distance from the center of the system, the thermal conductivity of the material, the temperature, and the heat flux. These variables are used to calculate the temperature distribution within the system.

How is the steady state heat equation in concentric spherical shells derived?

The steady state heat equation in concentric spherical shells is derived from the fundamental laws of thermodynamics, such as the conservation of energy and the Fourier's law of heat conduction. It can also be derived using the spherical coordinate system and the Laplace operator.

What are the applications of the steady state heat equation in concentric spherical shells?

The steady state heat equation in concentric spherical shells has various applications in different fields, such as geophysics, astrophysics, and engineering. It is used to study the temperature distribution in planets, stars, and other spherical systems. It is also used in the design and analysis of heat transfer systems, such as heat exchangers and refrigeration systems.

What are the limitations of the steady state heat equation in concentric spherical shells?

One limitation of the steady state heat equation in concentric spherical shells is that it assumes a steady state, meaning that the temperature distribution does not change with time. This may not be accurate in systems with time-varying heat sources. Additionally, the equation assumes a spherical symmetry, which may not always be the case in real-world systems.

Back