Steady State Sinusoidal using Nodal Analysis

Jack E. Kemmerly.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with incorrect information in a textbook and a solution using nodal analysis. The solution provided in the book is different from the one obtained using the equations. The origin of the problem is believed to be a modification in the problem but not in the answer key. The question is from the United States, specifically from the textbook Engineering Circuit Analysis 8th Edition.
Joshb60796

Homework Statement

problem 47.jpg
[/B]
The photo included provides the problem but the professor stated that the right side source is supposed to be 100t and not 80t. The problem wasn't printed correctly in the book so I assume the solution wasn't either. The solution via the book is v1=2.56cos(100t+139.2°), v2=4.35cos(100t+138.3°)

Homework Equations

Rectangular to Polar Notation
Polar to Rectangular Notation
Ohms Law
Nodal Analysis
Kirchhoff's Current Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Nodal Analysis
v1: ((v1)/1∠90°)+((v1)/2)+(((v1)-(v2))/4.55∠-90°)+(((v1)-(v2))/3) - (3∠62°)=0
v2: 2+((v2)/(2.13∠-90°))+((v2)/5)+(((v2)-(v1))/4.55∠-90°)+(((v1)-(v2))/3)=0
plugging that into the calculator and solving gives
v1=2.84∠131.12°
v2=3.56∠122.15°
Which is NOT the book solution. Please tell me if I did this correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations look correct, so just double check the values you obtained from the calculator.

Likes Joshb60796
I can confirm that the values look good, too.

I suppose that the problem may have been modified a bit at some point and the answer key not updated.

Likes Joshb60796
Excuse me this question is from which country?

I am from the US. This question is from Engineering Circuit Analysis 8th Edition, by William H. Hayt Jr.

Related to Steady State Sinusoidal using Nodal Analysis

1. What is steady state sinusoidal analysis?

Steady state sinusoidal analysis is a method used in electrical engineering to analyze circuits that contain sinusoidal sources (such as AC voltage or current). It is based on the principles of phasors and impedance, and allows for the determination of voltage and current values at any point in a circuit.

2. How does nodal analysis work?

Nodal analysis is a technique used to analyze electrical circuits by determining the voltage at each node (connection point) in the circuit. It involves applying Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) at each node to create a system of equations that can be solved to find the unknown node voltages.

3. What are the advantages of using steady state sinusoidal analysis?

Steady state sinusoidal analysis allows for the simplification of complex circuits containing AC sources, resistors, capacitors, and inductors. It also allows for the determination of voltage and current phasors, which can be used to calculate power and other important circuit parameters.

4. When should I use nodal analysis over other circuit analysis methods?

Nodal analysis is useful for analyzing circuits with multiple voltage sources and/or many nodes. This method is particularly well-suited for circuits with a large number of series and/or parallel resistors, as it allows for the simplification of the circuit and the reduction of the number of equations that need to be solved.

5. Are there any limitations to using steady state sinusoidal analysis?

Steady state sinusoidal analysis is based on the assumption that the circuit is in a steady state (meaning the voltages and currents are constant) and that all components are linear. This method is not suitable for analyzing circuits with nonlinear elements, such as diodes and transistors. Additionally, it may not accurately predict the behavior of the circuit at very high frequencies or in situations where transient effects are significant.