Steel Ball Density: Impact of Water Filling on Mercury Surface

• Thread starter galuda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, a steel ball floating on the surface of mercury in a half-filled container will sink a little bit farther into the mercury when the rest of the container is filled with water. This is due to the pressure from the water above the ball. The ball will remain partially submerged in mercury but not as deeply as before. The reason for this may be due to the buoyancy of the ball, where the buoyant force of the water cancels out some of the weight, causing less submergence in the mercury. However, this is not certain as the ball is on top of the mercury with no water beneath it.
galuda

Homework Statement

Consider a steel ball floating on the surface of mercury in a half-filled container. What happens when the rest of the container is filled with water?

The Attempt at a Solution

Wouldn't the ball sink a little farther into the mercury with the added weight of the water on top of the ball? Or would it just stay where it's at? The mercury is obviously going to stay on bottom, and the steel ball is going to float in the water.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. The steel ball should sink a little bit farther into the mercury due to the pressure from the water which will be above it.

Well apparently the answer was the ball remains partially submerged in mercury but not as deeply as before. I'm not sure I understand why that is, but in case anyone else is wondering, that's the way it is heh.

Hmm. Maybe it has to do with the buoyancy of the ball. The buoyant force of the water on the ball may cancel with some of the weight, thus causing less submergence in the mercury. Maybe something like this is the case? I don't see how this can be the case is the ball is on top of the mercury and no water is beneath the ball though...I won't say anything for sure, since I am not sure if this is the case.

Yeah, i don't get it either.

FAQ: Steel Ball Density: Impact of Water Filling on Mercury Surface

1. What is density?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume. It is calculated by dividing an object's mass by its volume.

2. How is density different from weight and mass?

Density is a property of a material, while weight and mass are measurements of an object's overall amount of matter. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains.

3. How is density measured?

Density can be measured by dividing an object's mass by its volume. It can also be measured using specialized instruments such as a hydrometer or densitometer.

4. What are some common units of measurement for density?

Density is commonly measured in units such as grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm³) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m³). In the imperial system, density is often measured in pounds per cubic inch (lb/in³) or ounces per cubic inch (oz/in³).

5. How does density affect the behavior of objects?

Density can affect an object's behavior in several ways. For example, objects with higher density will sink in liquids with lower density. Density also plays a role in the strength and durability of materials, as well as their ability to conduct heat and electricity.

Back