How to Solve Stellar Wind Virial Equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses two past exam questions that involve applying the Virial theorem to a portion of a stellar wind and an isotropic stellar wind. The first question asks for the Virial theorem describing the portion of the stellar wind between two radii. The second question involves a time-dependent Virial theorem for the wind between the spherical surfaces of the star. The conversation also mentions relevant equations, such as the time-dependent Virial theorem, the moment of inertia, kinetic energy, and thermal energy. The person asking for help is unsure of how to approach the questions and is seeking assistance.
anthonyhollin

Homework Statement

Hi, i have 2 past exam questions that i need to be able to solve for my exam in 3 days time:

consider the portion of a stellar wind of mass density rho, pressure p, temperature T and velocity v between the radii r=R_i = 10R_* and r=R_o = 100R_* where R_* is the radius of the star. Assuming this portion has reached Virial Equilibrium, state the Virial theorem describing it.

{10 marks (=20%), so not just writing down the virial equation}

also, another similar question from the next year:

Consider an isotropic stellar wind of mass density rho, pressure p, temperature T and velocity v that has reached to a distance r=R_w from the centre of a star. The star has mass M* and radius R*. Write down the time-dependent Virial Theorem describing the wind between the spherical surfaces r=R* and r=R_w. Assume the gravitational acceleration of the material in the wind is dominated by the mass of the star (ie. you can neglect the self gravity of the gas in the wind.)

Homework Equations

time dependent virial theorem:
1/2 d^2I/dt^2 = 2T + W + 3Pi - closedIntegral(p r).ds

I = integral (rho v^2).dV is moment of inertia
T = kinetic energy = integral (1/2 rho v^2).dv
W = -integral(rho r . grad(Phi)).dV is the thermal energy, Phi = GM(r)/r
the surface integral accounts for outside pressure

The Attempt at a Solution

to be honest I've got got too far. For the fisrt question there is virial equalibrium, so d^I/dt^ = 0, but for the second question the next part is proving the wind cannot be in a state of equalibrium (however this course didnt go into much detail about magnetic field freezing in plasma, transporting angular momentum away, so i think (or hope) i can assume the wind doesn't rotate).

grad(Phi) = GM_*/r^2 since no wind self gravity and M_wind << M_*, and so W = GM_* integral rho / r dV where dV is 4 pi r^2 dr. My main problem is getting time depenmdent forms for this since i have the velocity v, and what to use for p, the isothermal equation of state p = rho Cs^2 where Cs is the sound speed, or should i use the form from assuming the corona is in hydrostatic equalibrium (which i know it isnt- hence the setllar wind), where
p(r) = P_0 exp{-L (1 - r_0/r)}
where P_0 = 2nkT by the ideal gas law where all gas is ionized H, so mu=1/2 and n=rho/m_p. L is the left over constants (G M_* m_p) /(2 k T r_0) which ~ ratio of a protons gravitational P.E to its K.E

sorry I am just not too sure where to go with this so i haven't done much. There really isn't anything in my notes (besides the virial equation and the isothermal EOS), so I am not missing out helpful stuff here

Physics news on Phys.org
. I would be very happy if someone could help me out with this as it is worth a big chunk of marks and i don't want to miss out on it.Thanks in advance!

Related to How to Solve Stellar Wind Virial Equations?

What are the Stellar Wind Virial Equations?

The Stellar Wind Virial Equations are a set of equations used to describe the behavior of gas in a stellar wind. They relate the gas's kinetic energy to its thermal energy and the gravitational potential energy of the star.

How are the Stellar Wind Virial Equations used in astrophysics?

The Stellar Wind Virial Equations are used in astrophysics to study the dynamics and evolution of stellar winds, which are streams of gas emitted from stars. They also help to understand the energy balance in these winds and their impact on the surrounding environment.

What factors affect the validity of the Stellar Wind Virial Equations?

The validity of the Stellar Wind Virial Equations depends on several factors, including the assumption of spherically symmetric winds, the presence of magnetic fields, and the influence of other forces such as radiation pressure.

Can the Stellar Wind Virial Equations be applied to all types of stars?

While the Stellar Wind Virial Equations were initially developed for spherical stellar winds, they have also been applied to other types of stars such as non-spherical stars, binary stars, and massive stars. However, modifications may need to be made to account for different factors in these cases.

What are some potential future applications of the Stellar Wind Virial Equations?

The Stellar Wind Virial Equations have the potential to be applied in a variety of areas, including the study of protostellar winds, planetary atmospheres, and accretion disks around stars and black holes. They may also be used to investigate the role of stellar winds in galaxy formation and evolution.