Stephanie's question at Yahoo Answers (Domain question)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
In summary, the function $f(x)=\dfrac{x-1}{6-2x}$ has a domain of all real numbers except 1 and 3. The function can be simplified by substituting in numbers, but it is important to note that the original function is only defined for values of x that are not equal to 1.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

f(x) = (1) / (4 / ((x-1) - 2))

I got the 3 but I can not get the 1.

Can you possibly tell me what this would be called so I can google it, and if possible explain mathematically how to get the 1; besides substituting in numbers?

Here is a link to the question:

Math Help - Domain Question? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic, so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Stepanie's question at Yahoo! Answers (Domain question)

Hello Stephanie,

The funcion is $f(x)=\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{4}{x-1}-2}$. But $\dfrac{4}{x-1}$ is defined if and only if $x\neq 1$ so, $$f(x)=\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{4-2x+2}{x-1}}=\dfrac{x-1}{6-2x}\quad (\mbox{if }x\neq 1)$$ For $x\neq 1$, $f(x)$ is defined if and only if $x\neq 3$. Hence, $\mbox{Dom } f=\mathbb{R}-\{1,3\}$

Related to Stephanie's question at Yahoo Answers (Domain question)

1. What is a domain name?

A domain name is the web address that identifies a specific website. It is made up of a unique combination of letters, numbers, and symbols that are used to access a website on the internet.

2. Why is it important to have a good domain name?

A good domain name is important because it helps establish your brand and makes it easier for people to remember and find your website. It can also affect your website's search engine ranking and overall credibility.

3. How do I choose the right domain name?

When choosing a domain name, it is important to consider its relevance to your brand or business, its length and simplicity, and the availability of the domain. It is also recommended to avoid using numbers and hyphens, and to choose a domain extension that best represents your website's purpose.

4. Can I change my domain name later?

Yes, it is possible to change your domain name later, but it can be a complicated and costly process. It is best to choose a domain name that you are happy with from the beginning to avoid any future changes.

5. How do I register a domain name?

To register a domain name, you can use a domain registrar service or a web hosting provider. They will guide you through the process of searching for and purchasing an available domain name, and then help you set it up for your website.