Stepper Motor Anatomy and Logic

In summary, Dave is trying to calculate the required PPS for a given voltage and rpm to reach a certain output. He suggests using a stepper motor for this application due to its low rpm.
MachX
Hello all,

I've been learning and trying to reverse-engineer the logic, nature and anatomy of a stepper motor. In my quest I am trying to figure out what any given stepper motor will draw at any given rpm with given specs about the motor.

These motors come with certain specs as far as Vmax, A/phase and so forth. I have learned that a 1.8degree motor is 360/1.8 = 200 steps in the motor.

when trying to calculate desired RPM you use PPS (Pulse Per Second). in this case if we choose a desired 500RPM for the motor to output... the math would show:

(500Rpm / 60sec-min) = 8.33Rps.
Then
(200steps-in-motor-per-rev X (8.33Rps)) = 1,666 PPS.
Then
If I calculate (1rpm/60sec-min) = 0.016667 -> (200steps X (0.016667)) = 3.3333PPS
Would I assume that a 1.8 degree motor is always 3.33PPS per step?

My question is: If I want 500Rpm out of this motor...and I need 1,666 pulses per second to achieve 500Rpm, how is PPS a function of Voltage, Amperage and resistance? What would be the draw of the motor in and V and A at 500Rpm and 1,666PPS? And/or how would I calculate this if I have the ratings for the motor? Any advice appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi MachX

not to sure what you are trying to achieve
I suspect you misunderstand the real use of a stepper motor :)

Steppermotors are rarely used that way, that's why we have normal motors
Steppers are primarily used for low speed and hi torque precision stepping forward and back eg. in a printer/scanner/photocopier ... the 2 axis drives for a telescope, a hard disk drive head positioning

cheers
Dave

Hi Dave, I am trying to experiment with something similar to this:

http://youtu.be/pHYSqkuTIno

The stepper is good for this type of project due to it being low rpm. If I wire each phase output through a voltage doubler circuit I might be able to get the 5v 1A I need for USB devices after rectification drops.

I was just trying to understand how I could possibly calculate input rpm to reach a given voltage, this way I would know what gears or pulleys I need. :confused: cheers

Related to Stepper Motor Anatomy and Logic

1. What is a stepper motor?

A stepper motor is an electromechanical device that converts electrical pulses into precise mechanical movement. It is typically used in applications that require accurate and controlled rotation, such as in robotics, 3D printers, and CNC machines.

2. How does a stepper motor work?

A stepper motor works by using a series of electromagnets and a rotor with teeth, called a rotor. When an electrical pulse is applied to the electromagnets, they attract or repel the teeth of the rotor, causing it to rotate in a precise increment. This process is repeated to achieve continuous rotation.

3. What are the main components of a stepper motor?

The main components of a stepper motor include the rotor, stator, and control circuit. The rotor is the rotating part of the motor, while the stator is the stationary part that houses the electromagnets. The control circuit is responsible for sending electrical pulses to the electromagnets to control the movement of the rotor.

4. What is the difference between unipolar and bipolar stepper motors?

Unipolar and bipolar stepper motors differ in the way they are wired and the number of wires they require. Unipolar motors have two coils per phase and require four or five wires, while bipolar motors have one coil per phase and require only four wires. Bipolar motors are generally more powerful and efficient, while unipolar motors are easier to control.

5. How is the movement of a stepper motor controlled?

The movement of a stepper motor is controlled by sending a sequence of electrical pulses to the coils in a specific order. This sequence is determined by the type of stepper motor and the desired direction of rotation. The speed and precision of the motor's movement can also be controlled by adjusting the frequency and duration of the pulses.