Steps to take to pursue a Ph.D in Physics with a Math degree

In summary, the individual is interested in pursuing a Ph.D in Physics despite only having taken an AP Physics course in high school. They plan on using an introductory Physics textbook to reacquaint themselves with the subject and are seeking recommendations on how to gain the necessary knowledge and experience to pursue a Ph.D. Suggestions include checking the syllabus for an undergraduate physics major, contacting the department for recommended books, and potentially auditing or taking courses at a four-year university. The individual also mentions their background in math and lists the courses they have taken.
BlackHayze
Hi all,

I graduated with a degree in math about a year and a half ago. I've recently become very interested in the idea of Physics. I've always loved physics, but for some reason, probably because I never really did the kind of self-introspection I try to practice now, I majored in Math and Computer Science.

I would like to try and work towards a Ph.D in Physics. I've ordered an introductory Physics textbook and plan on working through that to reacquaint myself with Physics (took AP Physics in high school, got an A and loved it, and that's the main Physics knowledge I have. I'm certain this text will get me farther in my knowledge than even that class did.)

After working through that textbook, what are your recommendations? Would I need to enroll in a full time university and take a year or two of Physics as a dedicated student? Could I do it part-time? I live in Chicago, so schools are abundant, both full universities and community colleges. Would I even need to take university courses (i.e. could I do it self-study?) I've always been a smart guy, so I have no doubts I could do the self study way if that's feasible, but it may not look good to a program.

Basically, how would someone with only an AP Physics course, but who's always read physics texts for fun and been interested in it, go about getting the knowledge and experience to pursue a Ph.D in physics?

Thank you for any answers, I'm excited to see where this new path may take me through the years!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would checkout the syllabus for an undergrad physics major at a good four year school and see what physics courses they needed to take for their degree and then map it to what you know and go from there. You could contact the department and ask about what books are suggested although others here will give you a good list of undergrad and graduate books to digest.

Years ago when I got my BS in Physics, I took the following courses
- introductory physics (2 sem)
- modern physics (intro to QM and SR)
- classical mechanics (book by Marion lthough others used Goldstein)
- E&M Theory
- quantum mechanics (book by Schiff)
- stat mechanics
- physical optics
- general relativity as an independent study (I know nothing...)

For math, I covered:
- Calc I,II,III
- Linear Algebra
- Ordinary Diff Eqns
- Tensor Analysis (as an independent study)
- Boundary Value problems
- Advanced Calculus (Complex plane and Vector Calc like Stokes law, Divergence and Curl ...)

The big courses though are the Classical Mech, Quantum Mech and E & M and possibly Stat Mech that would position you well as a beginning grad student assuming your math is up to par.

As you can see you'll need to go to a four year school to find / audit or take these courses if you haven't already or if you can't find them online.

Related to Steps to take to pursue a Ph.D in Physics with a Math degree

1. What are the basic requirements for pursuing a Ph.D in Physics with a Math degree?

The basic requirements for pursuing a Ph.D in Physics with a Math degree vary depending on the university and program, but generally include a bachelor's degree in math or a related field, strong academic performance, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require GRE scores and research experience.

2. Is it necessary to have a background in physics to pursue a Ph.D in Physics with a Math degree?

While a background in physics can be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Many Ph.D programs in Physics with a Math degree offer bridge courses or introductory classes for students with a strong math background but limited physics knowledge. However, it is important to have a strong aptitude and interest in physics to succeed in the program.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a Ph.D in Physics with a Math degree?

The length of a Ph.D program can vary, but on average it takes 4-6 years to complete a Ph.D in Physics with a Math degree. This time may be longer if the student is pursuing a dual degree or has additional research or teaching responsibilities. It is important to note that the time to complete a Ph.D also depends on the student's progress and the requirements of their specific program.

4. What career opportunities are available for individuals with a Ph.D in Physics with a Math degree?

A Ph.D in Physics with a Math degree can lead to a variety of career opportunities in both academia and industry. Many graduates go on to become professors, researchers, or scientists in fields such as astrophysics, biophysics, and engineering. Additionally, individuals with this degree may also find opportunities in data analysis, finance, and technology industries.

5. How can I prepare for a Ph.D program in Physics with a Math degree?

To prepare for a Ph.D program in Physics with a Math degree, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It may also be helpful to take some introductory physics courses and gain research experience. Additionally, reaching out to current students or faculty in the program and attending conferences or seminars can provide valuable insights and connections.