Steve Jobs Resigns: Was He a Good Leader?

• Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, Jobs resigned as CEO of Apple due to health reasons, and Tim Cook is running the company. The company has a lot of cash and is doing well under Cook.
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't buy that logic even a little bit.

No he wasn't, macs are still expensive.

I am not sure about the causation but Apple had high profits under his leadership.

I think the true test of a good leader is in how well a company does after s/he is gone. As a leader, if the company can't succeed without you, how great can you claim to be?

This makes no sense to me.

russ_watters said:
I don't buy that logic even a little bit.

Why not?

He looks skinnier and skinnier. He did a lot for Apple.

Dembadon said:
Why not?

Because, if you leave and the company does poorly under a new leader, than that is that leader's fault, not the former leader's. A way to determine leadership is how well the company did while they were in control.

At least in my opinion.

Dembadon said:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceupbin/2011/08/24/steve-jobs-resigns-as-ceo-of-apple-press-release/

Do you think he was a good leader?

I think the true test of a good leader is in how well a company does after s/he is gone. As a leader, if the company can't succeed without you, how great can you claim to be?
He doesn't look too good - actually he looks ashen and gaunt.

Apple has $76 billion in cash, which on July 29, 2011 was $2 billion more than the US Treasury. Not to bad! I would expect that Apple's cash exceeds its debt.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/29/business/la-fi-apple-cash-20110730

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=AAPL
Management Effectiveness
Return on Assets (ttm): 22.25%
Return on Equity (ttm): 41.99%

Stock price $376.18 (8/24/11), up from about $70/share in 2007 - five years ago.
Splits: Jun 16, 1987 [2:1], Jun 21, 2000 [2:1], Feb 28, 2005 [2:1]

One could have bought it for ~$10/share in the early years.

It's interesting to compare AAPL vs MSFT

I guess I'll elaborate.

A leader needs to do everything in their power to ensure that the company is set up to be successful not just in the present, but also in the future. If I, as a leader, can't train others to carry my vision and values, then I don't think that speaks well of my leadership abilities.

Here are a few things off the top of my head that can be done to help the company after I'm gone:

• Train others to be leaders. If I'm the only one who knows how to run the company, then that's pretty short-sighted.
  • Surround myself with people I trust and know will perpetuate what I've started. If I hire an incompetent person to take over, that's my fault.
  • Implement systems/methods/ideas/goals/etc. that are wise for the company, long term. What good are strategies that only make me look good? Shouldn't there be accountability for the integrity of what I implement?

I had some others but forgot them. I'll have to come back later.

kcajrenreb said:
Because, if you leave and the company does poorly under a new leader, than that is that leader's fault, not the former leader's. A way to determine leadership is how well the company did while they were in control.

At least in my opinion.

Sure, it's entirely possible that the new leader screwed things up. However, it's also possible that the old leader was a poor judge of character, leading to the promotion of an imbecile. In that case, the old leader is partially accountable.

Dembadon said:
Sure, it's entirely possible that the new leader screwed things up. However, it's also possible that the old leader was a poor judge of character, leading to the promotion of an imbecile. In that case, the old leader is partially accountable.

i understand exactly what you're talking about. it's basically the difference between running a dictatorship and building a republic that will outlive oneself because you've built competence and robustness into the system. the dictator can do very well for himself, but plays his cards close to his chest. the leader is not a paranoid sociopath, but someone who considers his team his most valuable asset. dictatorships can work very well at times, but overall experience high volatility when the head changes. republics are slow but reliable, and stand the test of time.

Although a leader may have some influence over the future, they will always have even greater and more direct influence over the present.

Dembadon said:
  • Train others to be leaders. If I'm the only one who knows how to run the company, then that's pretty short-sighted.
  • Surround myself with people I trust and know will perpetuate what I've started. If I hire an incompetent person to take over, that's my fault.
  • Implement systems/methods/ideas/goals/etc. that are wise for the company, long term. What good are strategies that only make me look good? Shouldn't there be accountability for the integrity of what I implement?

All of which are things a new leader can toss out the window.

Dembadon said:

The board decides who replaces Jobs, not Jobs himself alone.

He resigned effective... January. It only became official today.

flyingpig said:
No he wasn't, macs are still expensive.

You... do realize Apple never meant to make macs cheaper right? Hell, it was one of their "luxury item" selling points.

There has been a bit of "cult of personality" built up around Jobs, IMO. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it can lead to unreasonable expectations regarding the future of Apple, both favorable and unfavorable in his absence. Apple is a very large company with a successful product line. It should continue to perform well, but will perceptions drive stock prices down, without Jobs? We'll see.

Apple has a really die-hard following for its products that Dell, Toshiba, Asus, Gateway, and others don't. Will that brand-loyalty stay strong? I'd expect a modest dip in Apple's share prices short-term, to be followed by a rebound when their next hardware roll-out occurs.

Steve Jobs Reshaped Industries
By DAVID POGUE
It's hard to imagine that we'll ever see another 15 years of blockbuster, culture-changing hits like the iMac, iPod, iPhone and iPad - from Apple or anyone else.
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/25/steve-jobs-reshaped-industries/
He’s done pretty well for Apple stockholders, too. Ten years ago Apple’s stock was at $9 a share; today, it’s $376. Apple is neck-and-neck with Exxon Mobil for the title of world’s most valuable company.
. . . .

Dembadon said:
I guess I'll elaborate.

A leader needs to do everything in their power to ensure that the company is set up to be successful not just in the present, but also in the future. If I, as a leader, can't train others to carry my vision and values, then I don't think that speaks well of my leadership abilities.

Here are a few things off the top of my head that can be done to help the company after I'm gone:

I had some others but forgot them. I'll have to come back later.

You are talking about both culture and structure, if I understand your argument, and I agree for the most part. Each company has its own culture, and that is a direct reflection of its leadership. While I think culture does play a role in the short term, over I think it is difficult to maintain when the leadership changes. As much as each person is unique, so by definition are CEOs and company Presidents and the cultures they spawn.

Also, there is one concept that I think you are ignoring. No matter how strong the culture and structure of a company might be, it is all but impossible to replace raw genius by design. Jobs was unique and impossible to replace. While Apple may go one to be tremendously successful, no one can ever fill his shoes as he did. Conversely, there is nothig to say Jobs was the best man for the job anymore. Perhaps his time has passed and it's time for new blood.

Last edited:

Related to Steve Jobs Resigns: Was He a Good Leader?

1. Was Steve Jobs a successful leader?

While opinions may vary, many consider Steve Jobs to be a successful leader. Under his leadership, Apple became one of the most valuable companies in the world and revolutionized the technology industry with products like the iPhone and iPad.

2. What were Steve Jobs' leadership qualities?

Some of Steve Jobs' key leadership qualities included his strong vision, attention to detail, ability to motivate and inspire his team, and his relentless pursuit of perfection. He was also known for his charisma and ability to communicate effectively.

3. How did Steve Jobs' leadership style impact Apple?

Steve Jobs' leadership style had a major impact on Apple's success. He was known for his hands-on approach, attention to design and user experience, and his ability to push his team to innovate and think outside the box. However, he also had a reputation for being demanding and sometimes difficult to work with.

4. What was the reaction to Steve Jobs' resignation?

The reaction to Steve Jobs' resignation was mixed. Many people expressed sadness and gratitude for his contributions to the technology industry. Some were concerned about the future of Apple without his leadership, while others were optimistic about the company's potential for continued success.

5. What is Steve Jobs' legacy as a leader?

Steve Jobs' legacy as a leader is one of innovation, excellence, and pushing the boundaries. He inspired a generation of entrepreneurs and changed the way we think about technology and design. His leadership style and vision continue to influence companies and industries around the world.