Stiffness of specimen under tension

In summary, the speaker is conducting FE modelling on a steel and concrete specimen and has obtained a stiffness curve that matches experimental results. However, the displacement values at the beginning of the curve are not convenient. The speaker has shifted the curve to the right by subtracting all displacement values from the initial one, while maintaining the same force values. The resulting curve is still not ideal and the speaker wonders if they made a mathematical error. They also question whether they need to consider the preload force in their calculations. Any help with this issue is appreciated.
Sadeq
Hello,

I am conducting FE modelling on specimen of steel surrounded by concrete,
and i obtain curve which have stiffness similar to experiment(all assume linear behaviour for all materials)
but the start of curve is not convenient
displacement

force
-5.13E-10

the negative displacement at the beginning is anticipated due to the fact the sample was preloaded(shrink in length)

So what i did is shift the curve to the right by subtracting all displacement value from the initial one
and maintain the same values of force

AND I got the following curve which is not convenient in the beginning
so did i do maths error when i shift the curve or what?

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

please consider the blue line

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    5.7 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
Not my field but...

Don't you need to know or work out the preload force and subtract/add that as well?

Related to Stiffness of specimen under tension

What is the stiffness of a specimen under tension?

The stiffness of a specimen under tension refers to its ability to resist deformation or stretching when a force is applied to it. It is a measure of the material's resistance to changes in its shape or size.

How is the stiffness of a specimen under tension measured?

The stiffness of a specimen under tension can be measured by performing a tensile test, in which a force is applied to the specimen until it reaches its breaking point. The amount of force required to stretch the specimen, along with its dimensions, can then be used to calculate its stiffness.

What factors can affect the stiffness of a specimen under tension?

The stiffness of a specimen under tension can be affected by various factors, such as the material's composition, its thickness, and the rate at which the force is applied. Temperature and humidity can also have an impact on the stiffness of a specimen.

What is the significance of knowing the stiffness of a specimen under tension?

Knowing the stiffness of a specimen under tension is important in engineering and material science, as it can help determine the suitability of a material for certain applications. It can also be used to predict how a material will behave under different types of loads and stresses.

How can the stiffness of a specimen under tension be improved?

The stiffness of a specimen under tension can be improved by using materials with higher stiffness values, such as metals or composites. Additionally, altering the shape or dimensions of the specimen can also affect its stiffness. Proper heat treatment and manufacturing techniques can also improve the stiffness of a specimen.